swapping 2014 cpu (2.16ghz) for 2008 cpu (2.40 ghz) is it worth it? (laptop)

dsmith80

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Hi I am thinking about doing a CPU swap on my new laptop. It's a VERY cheap laptop. Specs are, 4GB Ram, 500GB hdd, no dvd/cd, intel celeron dual core (baytrail) 2.16ghz CPU, intel HD graphics.

I wanted to pull the CPU out of my old thinkpad 61p and put it in this new asus x551ma. Is this possbile, and second, is it worth it? I just want to get some better frames in games. I know the HD graphics are the real bottle neck here, but if I can boost some frames with the Cpu swap, that would be great.

On a side note, is it possible to remove moblie graphics cards and reinstall them on diff laptops? I have a quadro on the thinkpad that would probably run better than this garbage

Solution
check your sata connection to your hdd. also if it is connected i would recommend running startup repair to fix hdd boot errors. also i would recommend reconnecting your keyboard and mouse/trackpad (obvioulsy) to enter startup commands and bootup from the windows install disc (startup commands is usually the f12, f8, or listed key)

Utkarsh Rai-

Honorable
Aug 31, 2014
If the motherboard has the same socket as the requirements of the new processor and motherboard support the processor .
Then it is worth it . It will increase ur laptops performance by a lot. Also intel hd graphics in 2014/13 processor are way bettee then the earlier intel hd.

dsmith80

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
hmm. Thanks guys, I'd like to get that other PC working instead but it keeps shutting off after like 2-3 minutes.

I had to take it apart to fix the GPU which was causing the 1 long two short beeps (gpu failure), I am trying to start it with the keyboard and mouse off, and most exterrior screws still out, and it boots but just shuts off after a min or two.

deadsmoke84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
check your sata connection to your hdd. also if it is connected i would recommend running startup repair to fix hdd boot errors. also i would recommend reconnecting your keyboard and mouse/trackpad (obvioulsy) to enter startup commands and bootup from the windows install disc (startup commands is usually the f12, f8, or listed key)

Solution