Question Swapping 5600x to 5900x question

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
Hello there, I have a MSI B550M Pro Vdh and It came with 5600x (as with prebuilt right), and I decided to buy the 5900x, so my question is, how hard or how dangerous is to swap and install cpu into the socket? My current BIOS is up to date.
Aero Cool RGB 750W
3060 RTX
500gb NvMe ssd
1 TB Gygabyte ssd
8 rgb fans in total.

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
Did you test the rails at load? Just sticking a multimeter probe in and testing what the PSU has on offer doesn't really mean anything.

You really shouldn't be using this PSU if it's one of the bad Aerocools.
well i tested each rail individually with the multimeter while the fan was running full speed that i connected before powering up, according to readings, it met the tolerances, also this is a prebuilt rig that i bought in last december and just decided to upgrade the cpu first.

Last edited:
The sketchiest part of the process is removing the cooler. The thermal interface material can act kind of like an adhesive so if you pull straight up hard it can pull the CPU out of the socket.

That's easily avoided though. First run the system for a while working something to heat up the CPU (like Cinebench): the heat softens the thermal paste. Then shut down and release the fasteners on the heatsink. Now twist the body of the heatsink back and forth as you also lift up gently until the bond breaks and it lifts away. No problems.

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
The sketchiest part of the process is removing the cooler. The thermal interface material can act kind of like an adhesive so if you pull straight up hard it can pull the CPU out of the socket.

That's easily avoided though. First run the system for a while working something to heat up the CPU (like Cinebench): the heat softens the thermal paste. Then shut down and release the fasteners on the heatsink. Now twist the body of the heatsink back and forth as you also lift up gently until the bond breaks and it lifts away. No problems.
Yeah that's exactly how I would take the cooler of the CPU, but sadly, last time I twisted and pulled, I've managed to scratch the heatsink :D, luckily the cpu base wasn't scratched at all.