Swapping between 2 Windows 10 Pro OEM-keys?

Memnoch1

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Hey guys.

I apologize in advance if this question is already answered elsewhere on the forum. The amount of threads, posts and possible answers are way too large for anyone to really comprehend.

My question is this:

If I have 2 Windows 10 Pro OEM-keys, with one activated on my PC and the other one as backups for future motherboard-replacement, and I then via the Update product-key replace my first OEM-key with the second, while NOT changing motherboard, does the first one get released for use later on another motherboard? Basically, can I activate and release freely between 2 OEM-keys?

Solution
You sort of answered question yourself, if you thought about it. Its currently tied to your Microsoft account but inactive. You cannot remove it from your account so its likely that if you put it on your mums PC and didn't also login there on your account, it will not activate.

What you can do is set up your account on mums PC, activate PC and make a local account for her (unless she wants the added bonuses of a MSA which are cortana actually working, store access & usage of onedrive) on the PC so she can use it rather than your account. If you make the local account an admin it has full access to everything,

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ever since build 1607 of Win 10 you can now move oem versions of win 10 to a new PC provided you follow these steps before hand: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change or currently already use a Microsoft account to login to PC. - you can swap motherboards now, I helped a guy a few weeks ago that replaced everything except a hdd and Win 10 reactivated. Keys are linked to Email addresses, not hardware anymore.

So that 2nd oem key, while its nice to have, may not be needed for a while. Eventually if you swap enough parts there may come a time the other key won't work so you future proffed a little. I would just put it away somewhere safe for when you do need it.

If you swap keys, what is likely to happen is both of them will be linked to your Microsoft login and the one you replace would not be released, just not active

Yes, you can swap keys by going to settings/update & security/activation - click Change product key - But I wouldn't suggest it for reasons already mentioned.

Memnoch1

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Interesting. So, if I swap keys, and thus have both linked to my Microsoft-account then I cant use the inactive key for a second PC, unless I sign in on that PC with my Microsoft-account aswell? For instance, if I build a new PC for my mom and want to have Windows 10 Pro activated on it without her having a Microsoft-account?

Logically that would mean that a specific user with a Microsoft-account can "store" a certain number of OEM-keys, and thus activate the same number of unique PCs, as long as the users Microsoft-account is used for signing-in on all of them. Is that correct?

Colif

Win 11 Master

Yes though they may also share files. Though you could just put key into that PC and then link it to the email address after fact.

Yes, some here have up to 25 on 1 email address

Memnoch1

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016

Then what happens if I type in the OEM-key that was in my main-PC (but has since been swapped out (and now is tied to my Microsoft-account but is inactive) into my moms new PC, and on that create a Microsoft-account to her? Would that "transfer" the inactive OEM-key to her or would it simply result in some random activation-error? Basically Im looking for a way to reuse an OEM-key elsewhere.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You sort of answered question yourself, if you thought about it. Its currently tied to your Microsoft account but inactive. You cannot remove it from your account so its likely that if you put it on your mums PC and didn't also login there on your account, it will not activate.

What you can do is set up your account on mums PC, activate PC and make a local account for her (unless she wants the added bonuses of a MSA which are cortana actually working, store access & usage of onedrive) on the PC so she can use it rather than your account. If you make the local account an admin it has full access to everything,

Solution