Swapping HDD for SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

I just ordered a Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB for my nearly 6-year old laptop. I understand that the SSD comes with software for copying my HDD's contents. Does anybody recommend this or should I go with a clean Windows install?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
+1 for the clean install. I've seen a ton of threads of people that use an image or migration software that can't boot from the SSD afterwards. Often the migration software misaligns the partition and though it boots, you may not get all the performance you'd expect.

Beyond that, there's nothing like the fresh virgin OS smell.
+1 for the clean install. I've seen a ton of threads of people that use an image or migration software that can't boot from the SSD afterwards. Often the migration software misaligns the partition and though it boots, you may not get all the performance you'd expect.

Beyond that, there's nothing like the fresh virgin OS smell.

Solution
Jan 30, 2016
I will definitely do a clean install then. I've already upgraded the laptop to Windows 10 and downloaded the Media Creation Tool to a USB drive. Will I need to purchase a new product key or will I be able to just install right away on the new drive?

Just install to the new drive. When you did the upgrade on the HDD to Windows 10, during the activation it registered your old Windows Product Key and took information about your motherboard. This was registered with the Windows activation site. So as long as the hardware is the same, it will activate without problem, so no need for a new product key.

When you install on the SSD, just press skip when asked for a product key. With the upgrade, you don't get a Windows 10 product key (it's called digital entitlement) once Windows has a connection to the internet it will activate without any intervention from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.