Question Swapping keyboard switches?

Sep 25, 2020
I was just gifted an MSI Vigor GK50. Great, I know! This particular model comes with Kailh Blue switches, and while those are fine, Im not the biggest fan of super clicky switches. Ive never swapped the switches on a keyboard before (I think I would like to go for some Cherry Browns, or maybe Box Browns y'all would recommend those), and I was just wondering how I would know if the switches on this keyboard are able to be swapped without needing to solder (I don't have a soldering iron)?

Aug 17, 2020
I was just gifted an MSI Vigor GK50. Great, I know! This particular model comes with Kailh Blue switches, and while those are fine, Im not the biggest fan of super clicky switches. Ive never swapped the switches on a keyboard before (I think I would like to go for some Cherry Browns, or maybe Box Browns y'all would recommend those), and I was just wondering how I would know if the switches on this keyboard are able to be swapped without needing to solder (I don't have a soldering iron)?
That keyboard is not hot swappable, so best bet is getting a cheap soldering iron and desoldering the keys by heating up the solder and pushing out the switch

Reactions: beardface

Ralston18

Titan
Good chance that with all those keys any unskilled (and even skilled) attempts to de-solder the old keys and solder in new keys will end badly.

Not to mention the possible costs of all that. A new cherry or box keyboard with warranty etc. likely to cost less. TBD....

Leave well enough alone.

Enjoy the gift, despite the "super clicky switches".

At some time in the future you will probably not even notice anymore. Or if you do - just key typing on any way.

Just my thoughts on the matter....