Question Swapping M/B and Migrating

bloodedbythought

Commendable
May 21, 2022
Hi All,

I was wondering if there are any tips/tricks for migrating an installation of Windows 10 Pro with applications/games installed to a new motherboard (all other components identical).

I have heavily modded Skyrim and Fallout 4 installations that I'd rather just keep on the tuned machine. I just want to swap the Z490 for a Z590 mobo.

Thanks in advance!

it should work but it will always be better to freshly install windows on such a replacement.
can't you just copy the skyrim/steam app folder and after installing windows, placing it to the right place again? steam can "repair" check files of the installation afterwards

USAFRet

Titan
Hi All,

I was wondering if there are any tips/tricks for migrating an installation of Windows 10 Pro with applications/games installed to a new motherboard (all other components identical).

I have heavily modded Skyrim and Fallout 4 installations that I'd rather just keep on the tuned machine. I just want to swap the Z490 for a Z590 mobo.

Thanks in advance!
I disagree with the previous answers.

Moving to a new motherboard, unless it is an exact replacement, often.usually requires a full OS wipe and reinstall.

Z490 -> Z590 is 'close', but absolutely NO guarantee of success.

What will you do when this swap fails?

bloodedbythought

Commendable
May 21, 2022
it should work but it will always be better to freshly install windows on such a replacement.
can't you just copy the skyrim/steam app folder and after installing windows, placing it to the right place again? steam can "repair" check files of the installation afterwards
You would think, but the modding system seemed to be finicky. I don;t have time to troubleshoot that with a fresh install (which I plan to do later) at the moment.

bloodedbythought

Commendable
May 21, 2022
I disagree with the previous answers.

Moving to a new motherboard, unless it is an exact replacement, often.usually requires a full OS wipe and reinstall.

Z490 -> Z590 is 'close', but absolutely NO guarantee of success.

What will you do when this swap fails?
It's a third machine, and I won't be heartbroken if it fails. I do realize this is not an ideal plan.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

TRENDING THREADS