Question Swapping out SSD on W11 prebuilt and installing W10

Nov 30, 2022
Just got a prebuilt with Windows 11 (reallllly don't like they force you to use a M$ account to set up, but not unexpected). The SSD drive is only 500 GBs and slower. Bought a 1 TB drive on back order and wanting to swap that in, but I want to boot from Windows 10.

I'm assuming I need to reset this new PC to factory first, shut down, and then do my SSD drive swap. But how do I then install Windows 10 or in what order should I actually do this?

Nov 30, 2022
Thanks, but hoping I don't get stuck with W11.

Talked with HP support and they indicated it would be compatible with W10, but suggested that W10 already be on that drive when I install it. Stated this model has two M.2 expansion slots:
One M.2 socket 1, Key A
One M.2 socket 3, Key M, (2280/2242)

Not sure what this means quite yet or from which it would better to boot.

Last edited:
Thanks, but hoping I don't get stuck with W11.

Talked with HP support and they indicated it would be compatible with W10, but suggested that W10 already be on that drive when I install it. Stated this model has two M.2 expansion slots:

Not sure what this means quite yet or from which it would better to boot.

It's totally up to you what to do, but keep in mind that you are spending this money on Windows 10. You are going to only have about 2.5 years or so before you have to migrate to Windows 11 or Windows 12 if you are staying with a Windows based PC, and likely having to deal with issues like this at that time. I have Windows 11 Pro and it didn't gripe too much about letting me use a local account. Just my opinion, but Windows 11 has been a decent OS so far. I suggest bite the bullet and try it.

Reactions: Corwin65
Nov 30, 2022
It's totally up to you what to do, but keep in mind that you are spending this money on Windows 10. You are going to only have about 2.5 years or so before you have to migrate to Windows 11 or Windows 12 if you are staying with a Windows based PC, and likely having to deal with issues like this at that time. I have Windows 11 Pro and it didn't gripe too much about letting me use a local account. Just my opinion, but Windows 11 has been a decent OS so far. I suggest bite the bullet and try it.

Valid point for sure. Ya, it's not horrible, so maybe if there's a way to clone in the early going here to the new drive, that would be easier. But still not sure how I do that quite yet.

Nov 30, 2022
I've used macrium successfully once, but that was going from a standard spinny SATA HDD to an SSD. Here I'm swapping out one SSD for another. I guess I could macrium it to an external 1 TB I have and then macrium that back to the new SSD? (I suck with this kind of stuff.)

USAFRet

Titan
While you can almost certainly get WIN 10 up and running on this, in various ways, I think your dislike of Win 11 stems from, a false premise.
Required use of the MS account.

While it is needed for the licensing and activation, you do not need to use it after that.
At all.

On all of my Win 10 and 11 systems, there are 3 accounts.
The hated MS account - Used only for license issues and the incredibly rare instance I need something from the MS Store.
Local Admin user - any and all things needing admin access
Local Standard user - Daily driver.

Even on the brand new Surface Go laptop I bought 3 months ago, I've logged into the MS account exactly twice.
Once on day 1 to get it set up.
Then, a couple of days later, to go to the MS Store and upgrade it from Win 11 S to Win 11 Home.

Other than that....not even once.

The Win 11 desktop I'm using to type this...I've logged in with the MS account maybe 3 times since I rebuilt it last January.

There are other reasons to dislike Win 11.
But the MS account thing is not one of them.

USAFRet

Titan
I've used macrium successfully once, but that was going from a standard spinny SATA HDD to an SSD. Here I'm swapping out one SSD for another. I guess I could macrium it to an external 1 TB I have and then macrium that back to the new SSD? (I suck with this kind of stuff.)
Are you getting a new SSD for the WIn 10?

Just take the currernt one out as is.
Install the new one, install WIn 10.

USAFRet

Titan
You have a 500GB, with Win 11.

You're getting a 1TB.

What OS will be on the 1TB?
Win 10 or 11?

Nov 30, 2022
You have a 500GB, with Win 11.

You're getting a 1TB.

What OS will be on the 1TB?
Win 10 or 11?

Original thinking was put Windows 10 on the new 1 TB SSD. I guess I just don't understand how it will boot up.

I have my original PC with W10 but I'm guessing I can't use that serial product key to put W10 on my new PC? Stuff perplexes me as I just don't do it enough. I'm really more in need of a cookbook / step-by-step I guess.

If I have to live with Windows 11, then I will. I haven't figured out how to not use the sign-in or the PIN.

USAFRet

Titan
Original thinking was put Windows 10 on the new 1 TB SSD. I guess I just don't understand how it will boot up.

I have my original PC with W10 but I'm guessing I can't use that serial product key to put W10 on my new PC? Stuff perplexes me as I just don't do it enough. I'm really more in need of a cookbook / step-by-step I guess.
You'd create a Win 10 USB to install with.
(see tutorial linked below)

Put the new SSD in
Boot from the USB and install.
But no, you cannot use the license key from your other system.
Unknown if the existing linked Win 11 license will work to activate a brand new Win 10 install.
But....hahaha...you WILL have to log in with your MS account to get that working.

And again, after that....just create a couple of other accounts to use, and leave the MS account unused.