Swiftech H240 X2 Configurable AIO Liquid Cooler Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing loses out hard to the X61...

Also, the testing method is pretty bad. Like silentpc review you should really test units using a known fan as well as default ones to isolate sources of noise and performance.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED
This review is a bad review . people use water cooling to test extreme OC and you guys only test 4.2 ghz OC results ?

you should stress this cooler until it fails to know the maximum cooling of it , and no one cares about comparing with other coolers , that one can be put in a separate table.

no one buys such expensive cooler just to OC to 4.2 Ghz only which can be reached using cheap $40 air cooler . so this review is zero and tells nothing.

and if you want to compare , COMPARE in a stand alone table and make anther table for the maximum cooling of this cooler until it fails

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

not really , such cooler wins in extreme overclocking in which the X61 cant match ... they just tested it for low 4.2Ghz oc here thats why the potential of this cooler is not shown ...

toddybody

Distinguished
Looks overly complicated for an AIO...I'd much prefer the EK Predator (though more $$) or a simple loop w/ flex tubing. Res/Pump combo's have made loops super simple.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Why the hell is a 240 liquid CPU cooler being compared to a 280 liquid CPU cooler?

Its common sense that the 280 will pull out in front due to more surface area to dissipate heat.

Why wasn't it compared to the other 240 coolers that are more known like the many repetitive crap Corsair puts out every 18 months?

Why is the EK Predator not even on this chart?

So many questions with obvious answers which means this review was not clearly though out.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that would be an interesting comparison, especially for people who are interested in liquid cooling but not so much CLLs. This and the Predator are a nice step between a CLL and a full loop.

This thing loses out hard to the X61...

It does? I get better temps with my Cryorig R1 than I did with my X61. My X61 is currently sitting in my closet.

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
The EK Predator thing is a piece of junk. It is slapped together by a bunch of kids who have no real idea what they are doing. Hands on has proven this out to be true.
W.P.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The EK Predator thing is a piece of junk. It is slapped together by a bunch of kids who have no real idea what they are doing. Hands on has proven this out to be true.
W.P.

Really? Sources? Every review I have read of the EK predator has been favorable and I have used plenty of EK products in the past with no issues. I think its a bit expensive but I dont believe it was "slapped together by a bunch of kids who have no real idea what they are doing". Seems a bit harsh.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Looks overly complicated for an AIO...I'd much prefer the EK Predator (though more $$) or a simple loop w/ flex tubing. Res/Pump combo's have made loops super simple.

EK Predator is ugly.

Swiftech knows a bit more about AIO than EK.. They taught EK how to do water cooling back in the day.

b2.jpg

svan71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
had their 240x. TOTAL NIGHTMARE!. First the algae from the garbage coolant inside, then fan baring failure followed by hoses disintegrating with pieces of rubber clogging up the pump. Never again.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

Actually their first EK Predator version used to leak and some people lost their expensive system and EK Apologized and recalled them and offered full refund of any damaged components.

yes they made a huge mistake at first in quality control ... so yea it was a junk product until Version 2 was released.

here is the proof

https://www.ekwb.com/news/important-notice-from-ekwb-ek-xlc-predator-240-and-360-r1-0-product-recall/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Because the Predator was still on my shelf when I got another assignment. I hope to have results for you fairly soon...

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED
Please in the future , test watercoolers at 4.2 , 4.4 , 4.6 and 4.8/max OC GHZ OC ... 4.2Ghz is too low OC for watercoolers. Thanks.

if the chip does not reach 4.8 stable , then test 4.6 Ghz OC and then compare the coolers in each test alone .

Some coolers perform better at lower OC but fail miserably in extreme OC .. this has to be tested.

gondo

Distinguished
The EKWB Predator may be more $$$, but it doesn't compete with this. It competes with the Prestige version of the Swiftech which has better fans and compression fittings.

Vosgy

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
Why the hell is a 240 liquid CPU cooler being compared to a 280 liquid CPU cooler?

Its common sense that the 280 will pull out in front due to more surface area to dissipate heat.

Why wasn't it compared to the other 240 coolers that are more known like the many repetitive crap Corsair puts out every 18 months?

Why is the EK Predator not even on this chart?

So many questions with obvious answers which means this review was not clearly though out.

The H240 is a 280mm radiator, it comes with two 140mm fans.

I can't blame the author for not doing a real test of this cooler.

no one does real cpu cooler tests ANYWHERE. if these websites really wanted to test a cpu cooler they'd be using an AMD FX 9xxxx series clocked up to 5ghz, and maybe overclocked beyond. The fact of the matter is almost every cpu cooler review fails to actually challenge the cooler they're testing resulting in a lot of weird or inconsistent results which are largely affected by ambient room temps.

It's why no one who's actually overclocked an AMD cpu will seriously consider ANY air tower for the task. Even though according to most CPU cooler reviews a number of air towers are "just as good" as closed loop coolers (of course they're testing them on 95W intel cpus with mild overclocks). It's why no one who actually seriously overclocks their intel extreme edition chips will ever consider an air tower, or if they're really serious about it, a closed loop cooler.

when you have every cooler performing just about the same in a review i'd say you have a cpu which is NO WHERE NEAR hot enough to stress any of those cpu coolers, and you need to look at more aggressive clocks or a hotter chip.

gondo

Distinguished

I guess you never heard of www.frostytech.com

They use a reference heat plate, not a CPU and test all heatsinks side by side using the same heat source. You'll have a list of 100 heatsinks tested side by side.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

You are right, I see 240 in the product name and my brain registers a 240 radiator comes with the product and not a 280 radiator. Im guessing I wont be the only one to do this :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Swiftech was probably thinking "2x120 and "2x140" and shorted it. Most of these 240mm and 280mm radiators you see on the market, aren't, because they're named after fan size and these don't use 240mm or 280mm fans.

Along Swiftech's line of thinking, 2120 and 2140 would have been clearer names :)

Not just them, most sites that do real cooler reviews have thermally isolated testing environments with proper heat loads, default fan and preset forced convection, and acoustic testing. On the other hand, few review sites have as comprehensive a GPU power draw setup and PSU testing, so I wouldn't really rail too much on their (current) inability to properly test CPU coolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.