Question Switch between laptop and Desktop PC, Dual Monitor setup

Apr 28, 2019
Hi everyone!

Currently I have a dual monitor setup (both 1440p) for my gaming pc. Now I want to share my peripherals and monitors between my laptop and desktop, such that I would be able to switch between them.
I found some threads suggesting using a dockingstation with a USB switch (or just replugging) to divert the output to either the desktop or the laptop. Does anyone have a similar setup and could give me some input regarding product choice and performance?

Thanks in advance!

Do you need dual (external) monitor support for your laptop as well? Using any laptop docking station (USB or integrated) won't save you from requirement to switch monitor' inputs.

Check your monitors - a lot of them have multiple inputs, so you can connect your laptop to some of these unused inputs, and use monitor' controls to switch between them.

Another option is to use HDMI (or DisplayPort) switch between the monitor, and PC/Laptop.

Apr 28, 2019
Do you need dual (external) monitor support for your laptop as well? Using any laptop docking station (USB or integrated) won't save you from requirement to switch monitor' inputs.

Check your monitors - a lot of them have multiple inputs, so you can connect your laptop to some of these unused inputs, and use monitor' controls to switch between them.

Another option is to use HDMI (or DisplayPort) switch between the monitor, and PC/Laptop.
Yes dual monitor support for the laptop is a requirement. I was thinking about buying the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 dockingstation, connect all monitors and peripherals to it and then be able to switch between desktop and laptop with replugging a single cable. A KVM switch seems overkill as I do not need to switch between laptop and desktop that often.

TRENDING THREADS