Switch HDMI port from integrated graphics to nvidia discrete graphics

lukall87

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
I have a lenovo y50 that has a hdmi port. The hdmi port is connected to the intel integrated 4600 graphics, which does not support 144hz at 1080p. I have a 1080p monitor, so i was wondering if it was possible to connect the hdmi port to the 860m, or use the 860m for the monitor. Thanks in advance.

Solution

There was no issue, the nVidia card was working fine as was proven by the 3DMark score. Once the nVidia card was disabled, the score was a lot less than what it was with the card enabled using the same connection. You should start your own post with details about what is going on.

That is what you are using at the moment, once you switch it to game mode it should be running the faster card. You should be able to force it to use the faster card all the time in options. As long as your card swich is working properly, try this, disable the nVidia card in Device Manger then run 3DMark with the external display as the main display. Enable the nVidia card, reboot, run it again and see if the scores are different.

I was going to check the settings on my laptop but it seems it only has the nVidia Quadro video enabled, even though it has an i7 CPU I don't have any Intel video in Device Manager.

lukall87

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
I think it uses the nvidia card to render, but it sends the signal through the other one? Because when I disable the nvidia card it works fine but slow, and when i disable my integrated graphics my monitor gets no signal.

Don't disable the intergrated one. Disable the nVidia only. Uless you have it set manually only use the nVidia, the laptop will still use the onboard video during normal use, so if you disable it, no display.

Disable the nVidia, run 3DMark on the external monitor as the main monitor, note the score. Enable it, reboot, run 3DMark on the external monitor and note the score again. I'm thinking the second run will be a lot higher result.

lukall87

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
here are screenshots from the two tests, but that still doesn't rule out that the output is coming from the 860 to the integrated to the hdmi port. The whole time not matter how many times i refreshed the integrated graphics was always the graphics processor and display adapter.
processor only: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-P6invJXYidUmo0MVhOUFBvRDQ/view?usp=sharing
monitor settings: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-P6invJXYiddXlYSWxnNm9CYjg/view?usp=sharing
gpu test: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-P6invJXYidRUtoci1NeG1fZWc/view?usp=sharing
ps thats my dog in the background.

I can't see images from hosts at work, what are the numbers? Is the score with nVidia video disabled a lot lower than with it enabled when both tests are done with the external monitor enabled?

Well there you go then, you can probably draw your own conclution from that. If the laptop can't run at 144hz at that resolution it's not because it's not running on the nVidia chip since you can see that it is.

lukall87

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
It is using the nvidia chip as the processor, but is it using it as the display adapter? Because when I change resolutions and things it does it through the intel control panel, not nvidia. It also tells me that my Intel graphics can't support the bandwidth, not my nvidia graphics.

lukall87

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
it won't let me do 120 either. I would be happy with that. When I try to change my resolution and hertz to 1080p 61hz even it says that intel graphics 4600 doesn't have enough bandwidth. How do I get that to say nvidia?

Go to the video options and set it to use the nVidia card full time, like I said in my second post :) . By default it will only switch to it when needed like during gaming. If it does not work after that contact Lenovo support and check with them how to get it working.

There was no issue, the nVidia card was working fine as was proven by the 3DMark score. Once the nVidia card was disabled, the score was a lot less than what it was with the card enabled using the same connection. You should start your own post with details about what is going on.

Solution

kevohuevo

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
I'm having the same issue. I am trying to plug the HDMI cable into an external display, and it will only use the integrated Intel HD 4600 display adapter. I have messed with the nVidia control panel, and tried everything on here, but it won't seem to recognize the nVidia card through the HDMI. The graphics are very bad and laggy. Also using a Lenovo laptop, with a GT755m.

I have also tried disabling the Intel HD4600 through the device manager, then plugging in the HDMI. In this case, nothing appears.

Also, I used the nVidia settings to make sure the .exe for a test game was set to used nVidia, thinking that maybe the display would go through the Intel chip, but nVidia card would get used for the game. I notice no improvement, and the graphics and lag are terrible.

I saw another forum that found uninstalling and reinstalling the nVidia drivers worked, but I would like to avoid that.

Also, someone suggested going through BIOS, but I don't know how to get into Lenovo BIOS.

I know the gt755m card is advertised as having HDMI capability, but it looks like the port goes straight into the mobo, rather than the video card. Is it just impossible to get the GPU to power the HDMI output?

Update: Went ahead and clean installed the drivers for nVidia and Intel. Graphics still terrible. Also compared the graphisc before after after disabling the gt755m. Completely the same either way.

Another update: I noticed there is a VGA port that DOES come directly out of the video card. I tried plugging that in and the same thing happened...It automatically switches to the intel HD4600, and the graphics look awful. So it seems the problem is not HDMI specific.

Thanks for any help on this.

VinciM49

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
Sorry, it's not possible to receive faster than 60hz using the Lenovo y50 due to its setup. The 4600 will always run because the 860m is connected to the internal monitor and hdmi out through the 4600. That means there is no direct connection between the 860 and any monitor. Therefore if there is not enough bandwidth using the 4600 than there is not enough bandwidth. And yes, I own this laptop.

TRENDING THREADS