Question Switch Question

Apr 4, 2021
Hi Guys

Here's my setup, the downstairs ISP Router is allocating IP addresses , this is connected by Ethernet to a Netgear un-managed switch upstairs which has a Apple Time Capsule (Bridge Mode) connected to one of the ports, the Time Capsule is configured with a different network name.

My question is, would it be better to connect the router downstairs to the Time Capsule, and for the Switch to be connected to the Time Capsule ?

That depends where the majority of the equipment you use on a daily basis is. Do you use the time capsule for its wireless functions or the router connected to your ISP modem?

IF YOU USE YOUR TIME CAPSULE FOR INTERNET, then leave your setup as is.
IF YOU USE YOUR ISP CONNECTED ROUTER, then move the switch downstairs.

It's hard to understand the efficiency of your setup if we don't know how you use them daily as well.

It might not be any different.

I would put the switch first connected to the router just in case.

A switch does everything with asic hardware. It is designed to pass data as quickly as possible with no extra delays.

How the apple box works when it is running bridge mode is hard to say. It could actually be similar hardware but without digging it is hard to tell. It is more likely the 2 ports are connect via software which will be slightly slower based on the cpu in the device. Now how much slower may not even be detectable.

Apr 4, 2021
That depends where the majority of the equipment you use on a daily basis is. Do you use the time capsule for its wireless functions or the router connected to your ISP modem?

IF YOU USE YOUR TIME CAPSULE FOR INTERNET, then leave your setup as is.
IF YOU USE YOUR ISP CONNECTED ROUTER, then move the switch downstairs.

It's hard to understand the efficiency of your setup if we don't know how you use them daily as well.

The time capsule is used to create another wifi network upstairs and is used as a backup for Time Machine

Apr 4, 2021
I appreciate the help but what I need to know is whether the ethernet cable running from downstairs to upstairs should be connected to the upstairs router first or to the switch, I'm capable of working out whether I have enough ports and wifi coverage