Question Switched RAM, hitting lower FPS.

Jun 4, 2019
I had 32GB of ram (4x8GB). Had crashes, ran a memtest86, it found errors. I went from 4x8GB of Evo Potenza DDR4 CL 15-15-15-36, 1.2V, 2133Mhz to 2x16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX same CL, voltage, and frequency. I did check to make sure which slots to use (A1 and B1). Game I mostly play is Rainbow Six Siege and with the graphics quality set to "very high" I would stay at a steady 144fps. Now it is at a constant dip of 120fps and even drops to 100fps. I have gome into BIOS/EUFI and made sure all is well and set with the RAM.

Specs:
asrock fatal1ty x470 gaming k4
GeForce GTX 1070
Ryzen 7 2700x
Corsair Vengance LPX 2x16GB

Wrong. A1 and B1 are NEVER the correct slots to use on ANY dual channel motherboard sold for the last ten years, at least.

A2 and B2 are the CORRECT slots to use on ALL dual channel motherboards, for boards with four DIMM slots when two memory modules are in use, for all consumer DDR3 and DDR4 platforms. On some boards those slots will be called DDR4_1 and DDR4_2, but they are still the same slots which are located in the second and fourth positions over from the CPU socket.

Move your memory to the correct slots, set the XMP profile, retest. If you still fail, try bumping the DRAM voltage UP by about .005-.020v, save BIOS settings and test again.

Reactions: TJ Hooker