[SOLVED] Switched to HX1200i, trouble booting now?

steveland

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Hi all sorry for the long winded question so I bought a used corsair Hx1200i PSU with proof of it working. I received it and plugged in the power cord and the self fan test worked.

Well today I had time to actually install it and I realized they didn’t send me the 4+4 CPU to 8 pin cord. Luckily I found one from my older EVGA 850 way.

installed everything and this is what I found.

1. with the 24atx ONLY plugged into the mother board the computer powers and RGB lights come on the RAM (no fans spin)
  2. With the 24ATX and the GPU plugged in RAM lights up, power button is lit, and GPU fans spin.
  3. When adding the 4+4 to the CPU on MB to PSU NOTHING turns on.

I have two questions: 1. I’m assuming the old EVGA 4+4 cord isn’t compatible with this PSU that’s why it’s not working? 2. I use a commander pro for all my fans, shouldn’t my fans have turned on with only the 24pin ATX??

Im going to have to order a cord but won’t be here till Wednesday and hopefully that works. My computer was working just fine using my old no modular PSU. So I know it can’t be that the motherboard is bad all of a sudden.

Solution
If the MB was fried then why would my ram and gpu turn on?
The 8-pin port only powers the cpu so if other parts were not damaged they could still show signs of life.
Possible the board is OK, but you need to test with another PSU(with the proper connections of coarse. And if you reuse that EVGA PSU make sure to inspect that cable before reusing it.

steveland

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Dang I had no idea… I’m gonna flip if the CPU is messed up. Just got a 5900x. I noticed the PSU did a single click when trying to turn on. I read that the click is a potential fail safe trying to protect components in an error. Hopefully it’s fine. Tomorrow morning I’m going to peice everything back together with my old PSU.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would treat this as a situation where you at least need a motherboard, probably need a CPU, and would test or have the PSU tested with the proper cord before attempting to use it again.

Perhaps you will get lucky and only the mobo fried.

steveland

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
I would treat this as a situation where you at least need a motherboard, probably need a CPU, and would test or have the PSU tested with the proper cord before attempting to use it again.

Perhaps you will get lucky and only the mobo fried.

steveland

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Where I cannot comment conclusively in regard to where the RAM gets its power (I am supposing the 24 pin), the GPU is getting it's main power from the supplemental PCI cable. You mention that when you hook up the CPU power the board is doing nothing, if I read that right.

yes so when the cpu cord is plugged in along with the other cords (24ATX / PCI for GPU) nothing at all turns on.. but as soon as I unplug that 4+4 CPU cord everything other than my fans/AIO/CPU(obviously) turn back on.

bignastyid

Titan
The 8-pin port only powers the cpu so if other parts were not damaged they could still show signs of life.
Possible the board is OK, but you need to test with another PSU(with the proper connections of coarse. And if you reuse that EVGA PSU make sure to inspect that cable before reusing it.

Reactions: steveland
Solution

steveland

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
So my old PSU was a 850 wat evga none modular so all the connections (24, 4+4 and the 8pci) are all attached together. Idk why that evga even came with a spare CPU cord to begin with. So no I have no use for it whatsoever.

steveland

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
As to why the fans didn’t turn on.. I have a Corsair Commander Pro which might be powered by that CPU 8 pin somehow?? I’m not sure. In my mind I’m thinking of all the connections I have connected to it and part of my thinks maybe just maybe I accidentally didn’t plug that back into the psu and that’s my answer why the fans with rgb didn’t turn on..

steveland

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Also if this makes any difference (I’m at work right now so I can’t figure this out until the morning) I noticed I had a white light on my mother board close the the ATX 24 pin and toward the bottom a red light was on below the gpu.. didn’t notice it until I was browsing through a photo I took of it earlier today.

CPU: AMD 5900x
GPU: Nvidia 3080FE
MB: MSI B550 gaming plus

steveland

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Got home plugged in all old cords to old psu and everything is working fine thankfully. Might have to order a whole new set of cords for this psu

steveland

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Where I cannot comment conclusively in regard to where the RAM gets its power (I am supposing the 24 pin), the GPU is getting it's main power from the supplemental PCI cable. You mention that when you hook up the CPU power the board is doing nothing, if I read that right.
Got home switched everything back out and everything is working fine as it should:) no MB damage and CPU is fine thankfully. Just need to wait on this new cpu cord hopefully that does the trick