[SOLVED] Switches for a noob

Oct 25, 2020
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: xenthia
Solution
Yeah I know that I was just wanting to know what some people had liked so I could get a good idea of what is good. I have done a lot of research and watched a lot of reviews and I was thinking that for the clicky I was going to get the Box Jades, for tactile I am not exactly sure what is good since I have never had anything besides this keyboard I am typing on it is the Red Dragon K522 with the Reds that are from that compony that makes really cheap switchs I think it is like outeam or something. I just want to try the most tactile switch I can get to try it out and see what type I like the most from what I have seen I think I should try the box royals, them I was going to get the Alpacas for the linears. I was thinking that I would...
So basically you want to know about every switch? "Best" does not really exist in keyboards, it's what you like. Without trying you are just going after opinions of others which will be different for almost every person you ask.

The switch I am using now mostly is the Geteron Yellow, they feel like a smooth firmer MX Red. I also like the Gateron Optical Red switches, have a keyboard with those and like it a lot, but you need special Optical Hotswap it won't work in just any keyboard type. There are many options in all the switch types though, I've used Silver Speed switches and liked them, light and fast, but a bit too light for me. Does not mean you won't like them more however. Again, need to try them out to know.

Without trying out 6-10 different switches you won't really be able to just guess the first time which one you will like best, all you are doing is picking a starting point. Read about the switches and pick one, there is no right of wrong selection as the first switch.

These switches are very popular among the keyboard people https://zealpc.net/collections

Oct 25, 2020
So basically you want to know about every switch? "Best" does not really exist in keyboards, it's what you like. Without trying you are just going after opinions of others which will be different for almost every person you ask.

The switch I am using now mostly is the Geteron Yellow, they feel like a smooth firmer MX Red. I also like the Gateron Optical Red switches, have a keyboard with those and like it a lot, but you need special Optical Hotswap it won't work in just any keyboard type. There are many options in all the switch types though, I've used Silver Speed switches and liked them, light and fast, but a bit too light for me. Does not mean you won't like them more however. Again, need to try them out to know.

Without trying out 6-10 different switches you won't really be able to just guess the first time which one you will like best, all you are doing is picking a starting point. Read about the switches and pick one, there is no right of wrong selection as the first switch.

These switches are very popular among the keyboard people https://zealpc.net/collections
Yeah I know that I was just wanting to know what some people had liked so I could get a good idea of what is good. I have done a lot of research and watched a lot of reviews and I was thinking that for the clicky I was going to get the Box Jades, for tactile I am not exactly sure what is good since I have never had anything besides this keyboard I am typing on it is the Red Dragon K522 with the Reds that are from that compony that makes really cheap switchs I think it is like outeam or something. I just want to try the most tactile switch I can get to try it out and see what type I like the most from what I have seen I think I should try the box royals, them I was going to get the Alpacas for the linears. I was thinking that I would get enough tactile, clicky, and linear switchs to fill out the whole keyboard so I can try each type. I just want some opinions on which switch to get for each type. For tactile I want a really tactile switch, for clicky I want a pretty tactile and clicky switch, and for linear I want a really smooth switch.

Last edited:
Yeah I know that I was just wanting to know what some people had liked so I could get a good idea of what is good. I have done a lot of research and watched a lot of reviews and I was thinking that for the clicky I was going to get the Box Jades, for tactile I am not exactly sure what is good since I have never had anything besides this keyboard I am typing on it is the Red Dragon K522 with the Reds that are from that compony that makes really cheap switchs I think it is like outeam or something. I just want to try the most tactile switch I can get to try it out and see what type I like the most from what I have seen I think I should try the box royals, them I was going to get the Alpacas for the linears. I was thinking that I would get enough tactile, clicky, and linear switchs to fill out the whole keyboard so I can try each type. I just want some opinions on which switch to get for each type. For tactile I want a really tactile switch, for clicky I want a pretty tactile and clicky switch, and for linear I want a really smooth switch.

They make switch testers with 6-9 and more switches on them. The issue I find with those is that it's impossible to get a good feel of how actually typing on them would feel like in a keyboard. I don't like clicky switches myself, they are fun for a bit but get annoying after a while. Most people new to keyboards tend to buy those first then swap them out for something else, you can see that most used keyboards for sale are Green or Blue switches.

You already looked at the switches enough to start to try them out, your plan to get a handful of each to test is a good idea, just get a pack of 10 from a few and try them out in sections.

Next set of switches I get will be from the zealpc site the Zilents or one of their models. I do like the Gateron Yellows a lot, I don't see myself going back to Red switches from them. If I did use Reds in a keyboard would be Gateron, I'm a fan of that brand, have 4 different keyboards and switch types from them, Red, Optical Red, Brown and Yellow. Optical Red and Yellow are pretty tied in how I like them, the Optical Red are like butter. They keyboard I'm using now is a GK68 (which I like a lot more than the 64 or smaller form) with Gateron Yellow. it came with Gateron Brown but I swapped them out and changed the keycaps. I have the Corsiar WASD keys on there, I like the texture and andgle they have for gaming.

When you do the keyboard make sure you read up on how to mod the stabilizers for better sound using lube and tape to mute the sound of them hitting the plate ,it makes a big difference.

QZhcmoX.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Desch_
Solution
The benefit of getting the parts vs just an all in one kit is you can pick exactly what you want. If the kit has what you want may as well get the kit.

I usually buy a full keyboard and swap the switches and do some cleanup of the stabilizer setup, something like this https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Swappable-Bluetooth-Mechanical-Rechargeable/dp/B0836JJHWD/ref=sr_1_14?crid=PIUKB2A26VXC&dchild=1&keywords=epomaker+gk68xs&qid=1604430348&s=electronics&sprefix=epomak,electronics,165&sr=1-14 or https://www.amazon.com/EPOMAKER-Swappable-Mechanical-Dustproof-Waterproof/dp/B0875YVN3M/ref=sr_1_25?crid=PIUKB2A26VXC&dchild=1&keywords=epomaker+gk68xs&qid=1604430348&s=electronics&sprefix=epomak,electronics,165&sr=1-25 for optical switches

If you don't use lights on the keyboard those keycaps are fine, for back-lit keyboard really should use shine-through lettering, it's just odd looking without that when you have it lit up. I like the Drop Skylight set, the one in the picture I used is the Valiant version https://drop.com/buy/drop-skylight-series-keycap-set. They are not perfect, the Q, R, O,P keys have a tiny darker spot in the top and some other keys are not perfect (Caps Lock Ca is a bit dimmer than rest) but for the cost they are excellent feeling. Some of the keys you need to play around with as they may not match all keyboards, I had to use some of the 1U non-matching keys, but again not a huge deal for the alternate lesser used keys.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020
Well I don't exactly know what I want because some or the reviews on the all in one said that is sounded terrible but then some said that it sounded great so I think that in case that one does sound bad I could get the other one so that it guaranties it won't sound bad, but on the other hand that one is $30 cheaper.

Well I don't exactly know what I want because some or the reviews on the all in one said that is sounded terrible but then some said that it sounded great so I think that in case that one does sound bad I could get the other one so that it guaranties it won't sound bad, but on the other hand that one is $30 cheaper.

This is why I say you can't just pick one thing and be done with it, you need to test out quite a few over time, as you can see all you get is differences in opinions in reviews. Most issues with how keyboards sound are from the larger keys with stabilizers, like a pinging space bar or something. Those can often be fixed with a few adjustments using grease and a few other things.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD5Zj-ZgMLA
A couple of times I also used a bit of foam like 1mm square and stuck it inside a stabilizer to help with the noise.

I also got the Redragon k552 when it was first released, I think it used Outemu blues - very reminiscent of the good old Model M but not quite as good lol, was a blast to type on however for late night gaming the wife factor was an issue (doors are thin!)

was going to BYO and came across the Quisan Magicforce 68 with Gateron Browns, it is perfect for the price, it's not bad at all

Ok thanks, and now I have figured out what linear and clicky switchs I want can you tell me what you believe the most tactile switch is?

Don't know about "most tactile" but the Halo True switches have a loyal following. This Drop Enter keyboard is pretty good https://drop.com/buy/drop-entr-mechanical-keyboard and if you add in the Sennheiser PC37xx gaming headset you can save like $40 off the combo price, both are $150. That may be the best deal now for a keyboard/headset for overall quality and cost. Even though I have several of both things I am really debating getting that combo, it's really a matter of how mad I think my wife will be LOL