[SOLVED] Switching cooler on 3700x from default to Hyper 212.

yar2000

Commendable
Jul 18, 2019
Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded from an i5 7500 to a 3700x. Since I didn't have anything to remove the thermal paste from my CPU at the time, I decided to fit the stock cooler onto my 3700x for now. I was wondering whether it'd be worth it for me to switch from the Wraith Prism to the Hyper 212 which is still attached to my old motherboard. I assume the main difference would be that it will be a lot more quiet but I heard top-down coolers also have their advantages. Will my temperatures be lower with the 212 as well? I don't mind switching the coolers so if it gives a big enough advantage I will probably switch them.

Little side note, I also heard some people had issues with the removal process of the AMD stock coolers where the cooler would be hard-stuck to the CPU because of the thermal paste. Is this something I need to look out for if I do decide to switch the cooler?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
The stock cooler for WHAT? The i5 or the 3700x? What do you mean by "remove the thermal paste from my CPU"?

Did you buy the CPU used, or why did it already have thermal paste on it? It shouldn't have. The heatsink might have, but the CPU sure as hell shouldn't have.

The Hyper 212 coolers are probably a waste of money for trying to cool that CPU. You need something a bit more substantial for the 3700x. I would not look at anything smaller than a slim 140mm cooler or larger.

Yes, the thermal paste and cooler could be a problem for some people. Twisting the heatsink somewhat when removing it to break the seal between the heatsink and the CPU heat spreader is what generally has worked in the past but who knows on these...
The stock cooler for WHAT? The i5 or the 3700x? What do you mean by "remove the thermal paste from my CPU"?

Did you buy the CPU used, or why did it already have thermal paste on it? It shouldn't have. The heatsink might have, but the CPU sure as hell shouldn't have.

The Hyper 212 coolers are probably a waste of money for trying to cool that CPU. You need something a bit more substantial for the 3700x. I would not look at anything smaller than a slim 140mm cooler or larger.

Yes, the thermal paste and cooler could be a problem for some people. Twisting the heatsink somewhat when removing it to break the seal between the heatsink and the CPU heat spreader is what generally has worked in the past but who knows on these?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sticky-amd-ryzen-processor-proartist-bracket-fix

Solution

yar2000

Commendable
Jul 18, 2019

Yes, the thermal paste and cooler could be a problem for some people. Twisting the heatsink somewhat when removing it to break the seal between the heatsink and the CPU heat spreader is what generally has worked in the past but who knows on these?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sticky-amd-ryzen-processor-proartist-bracket-fix

As I said one line later, the Wraith Prism (3700x stock cooler) and I already had the 212 on my old CPU. Nothing needs to be bought, I was wondering whether I should change the Wraith Prism to the 212. The CPU didn't have thermal paste on it, the 212 did because it is still attached to my old motherboard. The 3700x was bought new and definitely didn't have thermal paste on it :p

As I said one line later, the Wraith Prism (3700x stock cooler) and I already had the 212 on my old CPU. Nothing needs to be bought, I was wondering whether I should change the Wraith Prism to the 212. The CPU didn't have thermal paste on it, the 212 did because it is still attached to my old motherboard. The 3700x was bought new and definitely didn't have thermal paste on it :p
You will most probably have to by AM4 mounting kit for 212 evo if it didn't come with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To remove a cooler easily, run the cpu to heat it up first.
CPU-Z stress does that easily.
Heat softens the paste and makes it easy to remove the cooler.

You may need to buy a AM4 mounting kit for the hyper212 if your cooler did not come with one, or if you discarded it.

I like tower type coolers better than top down if you have the normal 160mm for one.
The heated cpu air gets directed more quickly to the rear and out of the case.