[SOLVED] Switching CPU within series type

gpbarth

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2015
I currently have an Intel i7-7700/4.2Ghz that is doing a great job as far as I'm concerned. So now MS decides that they will make everyone buy new computers and Mobos just to run their new Win 11. I ran their compatibility checker, and the only thing stopping them (not me) from upgrading my machine is my CPU. Seems like my lowly i7-7700 just doesn't hack it, but the i7-7800 does. Matter of fact, there is a huge list of i-7 CPUs that DO qualify.

SO - my question: Is there any way to purchase a replacement i7 (or other) CPU to replace my 7700 version, in my existing socket? There is no way I can afford to buy another Mobo right now (which also means replacing all 32 Gb of RAM, knowing the system).

My own experiences lead me to believe I'll be running Win 10 for the next 5 years, at which time I will probably be too blind or senile to use a computer anymore! :sleep:

Is there anything in windows 11 that you are eager to get?
If not, I would sit tight.

There will be bugs in 11 which will be ironed out over time.

Currently, there are registry hacks that will allow you to run windows 11 without the support for the security feature you do not now have.