Question switching from 5G to 3G mode to reduce cellphone radiation?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2707986
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2707986

on my android phone i can switch my SIM card's network mode from 5G to 3G, i was wondering if that will reduce the radiation i will be exposed to from my phone, since 3G operates at a much lower megahertz which seems safer.

still my colleague thinks it won't make any difference because he said the chip in my phone is already 5G so i'll still be exposed to its radiation regardless, and that i'm just artificially limiting my speed by switching it to 3G.

so does anyone know if switching from 5G to 3G will reduce cellphone radiation? i'm a cancer survivor so i'm taking as many precautions as possible.

many thanks for your help!

kanewolf

Titan
on my android phone i can switch my SIM card's network mode from 5G to 3G, i was wondering if that will reduce the radiation i will be exposed to from my phone, since 3G operates at a much lower megahertz which seems safer.

still my colleague thinks it won't make any difference because he said the chip in my phone is already 5G so i'll still be exposed to its radiation regardless, and that i'm just artificially limiting my speed by switching it to 3G.

so does anyone know if switching from 5G to 3G will reduce cellphone radiation? i'm a cancer survivor so i'm taking as many precautions as possible.

many thanks for your help!
If you are concerned about electromagnetic exposure, then use a WIRED earphone / microphone combo. That will keep any radiation as far away from you as possible.
Anything else, and you will have RF radiation near your head.
With that said, bluetooth is a very safe technology -- https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/06/is-bluetooth-safe/ https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/are-bluetooth-headaphones-safe#safety

If you are in the United States, forcing 3G mode will reduce radiative emissions by 100%, unless you are on Verizon.

That's because AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint's 3G networks have already been shut off, and only Verizon still has some 3G areas until Dec 31, 2022. So forcing 3G mode basically means no signal, and hence no RF.

D

Deleted member 2707986

If you are concerned about electromagnetic exposure, then use a WIRED earphone / microphone combo.

good idea, i still have all the hands free earpiece from all my previous phones, but i never used them because people will look at me funny and think i'm talking to myself...lol

also i forgot to mention that i cut off my home ADSL internet so my smartphone is now hooked to my pc and acts like a modem, i get exposed to around 1GB worth of radiation every month, just for surfing the web and checking emails, and i always feel guilty about it, but money is tight right now, so i had to do it like this.

last time i went to the oncologist he said my "LDH" level had shot up a little bit, though it has since normalized. at the time though, i asked the oncologist if the phone radiation had something to do with it, but he told me not to worry, as there are many factors at play, and he does not consider cellphone radiation to be one of them....

i actually have another old sim card that is still active and can switch to 2G mode, and it works on my smartphone hooked to my pc as well, but it takes nearly 15 minutes just to load hotmail which is quite horrid.

recently i even stopped playing with the xbox kinect because i'm worried about being bombard with those warmy glow laser radiation.

currently i'm using the "THREE" network which is also available where i live.

anyways a few years back i read that 5G network can go over the 6GHZ spectrum which could be harmful to human tissue because it's microwave, which can damage DNA or somewhere along that line.

Last edited by a moderator:

kanewolf

Titan
also i forgot to mention that i cut off my home ADSL internet so my smartphone is now hooked to my pc and acts like a modem, i get exposed to around 1GB worth of radiation every month, just for surfing the web and checking emails, and i always feel guilty about it, but money is tight right now, so i had to do it like this.
Radiation diminishes by the SQUARE of the distance. So if a phone is 3 ft from you, the radiation is 1000X lower than when holding near your ear.
Do you have a microwave oven? It has 1000W of RF power. Your phone has just over 1W RF power. I believe you are over estimating your exposure from your phone.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i actually had this conversation last week while sitting in treatment with another patient. (i am a 2 time and current colon cancer patient)

he was worried about the same thing and after a while of talking, the nurse chimed in and explained to him exactly what everyone here is saying. in the end our oncologist also stopped in and said the same thing.

i fully understand wanting to stay safe from cancer returning, but you are much better off focusing on what is both important and in your control. a healthy diet, exercise, quality sleep and good mental health is going to go a lot further than worrying about 3g or 5g.

the reality is that your cell phone is a very minimal source of radiation. the cell towers we have all around are many many times stronger and yet they don't pose any risk at all. simply being closer to your head does not make it somehow stronger. it has been tested and shown over and over there is no risk despite what the morons on youtube and twitter say.

think about it, pretty much everyone has a cell phone, if it was a strong risk what % would have brain cancer? that's right a large % and we'd all be very aware of the danger. yet with 20+ years of cell phone use we don't see an uptick in brain cancer.

what do we see getting worse? colon and other gastrointestinal cancers. why?? because the food we eat is an actual threat and it is showing up more and more every day. why not worry about that, which is something you can control with the aforementioned healthy diet, exercise and so on. i'm sure your doc has also told you this.

i don't say this to be mean, but seriously, get off facebook/twitter/redit/youtube/etc/etc/etc and go outside and enjoy life. it has been proven over and over that fixating on that negative stuff causes ACTUAL brain damage similar to schizophrenia. again something you can control in your life is exposure to that crap, the less the better.

good luck and please please talk to someone if you still find yourself fixating on this proven nonsense.

Last edited:
This is a moot point anyway because radios operate at what's called non-ionizing radiation frequencies. Meaning they can't damage you like how ultraviolet rays, x-rays, and gamma rays can. The damage they do is thermally, and only if there's enough power density coming out of the part (it's like why a 5W laser will burn paper, but a 10W bulb does nothing, one's focused, the other isn't)

Also it's a moot point because guess what? There's RF everywhere in the air. If your friend is paranoid about RF radiation, they should move to the most isolated part of the world.

Ah, in the UK only BT's EE and Vodafone are switching off 3G next year. Both Three and Virgin Media O2 are keeping their 3G networks for now.

I can't see getting too excited about 0.2w max even right next to your head, when people live in buildings with 5G cell towers above them on the roof that typically use 11.5 kilowatts and don't seem to get cancer any more often. But still the transmitting time (and thus exposure to RF) will be much longer to transfer the same data, when using the slower network.

There are people who claim to be so sensitive to RF that it gives them headaches, and the best place for them to move to is next to a radio telescope where cell service, smart meters and wifi are banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.