[SOLVED] Switching from Intel i7 to AMD Ryzen 3 3300x. Reinstall Windows 10?

Caleb_Z

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
I recently remade my PC. I bought the B450 Gaming PLUS MAX, DDR4 Ram, and Ryzen 3 3300x CPU. On my old PC, I had Intel i7 2600 with a Dell-made MOBO. I also had an SSD where I had Windows 10 and my game files installed. I built the new PC using my new parts and everything started up smoothly. I'm currently having no issues with Windows 10 except I did have to reactivate the product key. I'm torn on the issue of reinstalling Windows 10 using a USB because of a couple reasons.

1. I've read numerous times that if I'm switching from Intel to AMD, I need to reinstall Windows 10 because my hardware will run faster if I do.
  2. I've also read that Windows 10 is resilient and is able to handle hardware changes.

Any help/suggestion/opinion is appreciated!

Thanks,
Caleb

Solution
D
your win10 license is linked with your account, so if you install clean, you can activate it. no worries. clean install is best. then you can use O&OShutup10 to cut the network chatter back to MS and keep only the stuff you need.
D

Deleted member 14196

it isn't that resilient. lol. no, with that change, full clean/format and install

after the install go to AMDs website and get the chipset drivers. all done--unless you have an AMD video card then you probably want the latest drivers.

Reactions: King_V

Caleb_Z

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
it isn't that resilient. lol. no, with that change, full clean/format and install

after the install go to AMDs website and get the chipset drivers. all done--unless you have an AMD video card then you probably want the latest drivers.
Thanks for your input. Since I haven't had any issues thus far, what should I be looking for that makes it obvious I should reinstall Windows? I have GTX 970 by the way.

D

Deleted member 14196

you swapped out the mobo and the cpu, that's what tells me it's clean fresh os install time.

make sure to do a full shakedown of that windows install you are running, I bet something is wrong with it... so far you seem to be lucky.

Reactions: Caleb_Z

Caleb_Z

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
you swapped out the mobo and the cpu, that's what tells me it's clean fresh os install time.

make sure to do a full shakedown of that windows install you are running, I bet something is wrong with it... so far you seem to be lucky.
How do I perform a "shakedown" on the windows install?

As you mentioned Dell and an i7-2600, was this an OEM (prebuilt) system with an OEM-licensed WIn7 subsequently upgraded to Win10? (If so, I'm rather surprised it allowed you to reactivate Win10, but, I'd guess you'd have issues fresh reactivating dissimilar hardware with what began as on OEM WIn7 rig. (Many might argue the OEM license died with the Dell mainboard/CPU combo...)

Caleb_Z

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
As you mentioned Dell and an i7-2600, was this an OEM (prebuilt) system with an OEM-licensed WIn7 subsequently upgraded to Win10? (If so, I'm rather surprised it allowed you to reactivate Win10, but, I'd guess you'd have issues fresh reactivating dissimilar hardware with what began as on OEM WIn7 rig. (Many might argue the OEM license died with the Dell mainboard/CPU combo...)
It was prebuilt by Dell with Windows 7. After years, I finally upgraded to Windows 10 for free. I checked the product and I believe I remember it saying it was Retail. When I deactivated Windows 10 last night, it said it activated it through my Microsoft account.

D

Deleted member 14196

your win10 license is linked with your account, so if you install clean, you can activate it. no worries. clean install is best. then you can use O&OShutup10 to cut the network chatter back to MS and keep only the stuff you need.

Solution