Switching from windows 10 to linux

Aaron9546

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
I've got an old laptop I don't use much I've never used linux before and I wanted to download Kali Linux onto this old one but how do I do that on a windows 10 laptop? I have no usb. Was trying to install linux as the main os and delete windows.

Solution
I 100% agree with USAFRet, why Kali? That is a pretty sophisticated distro that a person with plenty of Linux experience would work towards. As a beginner I would definitely choose one of a dozen different distros to start with.

There are a few things to consider here. Your equipment. You did not list your system's specs. This is the SINGLE most important factor when choosing a distro. You need to fit the distro to your equipment, your experience and your needs.

Also, just as Jasjar pointed out, you either need a DVD or a USB, there is no other way to accomplish this. During installation you will have plenty of options, choose to install and wipe the disc and you will be fine.

USAFRet

Titan

Q1. Why Kali? There are other, easier Linux distros to get your feet wet with.

I 100% agree with USAFRet, why Kali? That is a pretty sophisticated distro that a person with plenty of Linux experience would work towards. As a beginner I would definitely choose one of a dozen different distros to start with.

There are a few things to consider here. Your equipment. You did not list your system's specs. This is the SINGLE most important factor when choosing a distro. You need to fit the distro to your equipment, your experience and your needs.

Also, just as Jasjar pointed out, you either need a DVD or a USB, there is no other way to accomplish this. During installation you will have plenty of options, choose to install and wipe the disc and you will be fine.

Solution