[SOLVED] Switching hard drives

Feb 9, 2022
So this is a newbie one. I upgraded from hdd to m.2 and the hdd remained unplugged in the case. Will it do anything if I take out the add from the pc and plug the old hdd. I know I can have both simulationsly but generally speaking will it wipe the ssd or something... I then want to unplug the hdd with win 7 and get back to my ssd with its windows 10 installed etc is it safe

Solution
Wouldn't be a problem as each Windows was installed on same hardware when other drive wasn't present.

If I were you my concern might be the frequency of the swap as in how often you plan to unplug this and plug that and vice versa. The cable headers and ports might become kind of loose as a result of tension/pressure. Also risk of static discharge that comes with handling components.

Unless you just remove drive letter from within Windows prior to booting from the 'other drive' or that you're gonna do the physical plug/unplug just a few times.

USAFRet

Titan
So this is a newbie one. I upgraded from hdd to m.2 and the hdd remained unplugged in the case. Will it do anything if I take out the add from the pc and plug the old hdd. I know I can have both simulationsly but generally speaking will it wipe the ssd or something... I then want to unplug the hdd with win 7 and get back to my ssd with its windows 10 installed etc is it safe
Kind of unclear of what you did or what you want the end state to be.

How did you change from the HDD to the M.2?
What is in it now?
What do you want to do with the old HDD?
What is on each drive?

Feb 9, 2022
Better explanation. I got hdd (old drive) with windows 7 and games installed on.
Then I got a new ssd today and installed windows 10 on it. For example tomorrow I want to take out the ssd from the motherboard and plug back the hdd to play games etc etc, then unplug it and put my ssd back to resume with my brand new windows. Question is, is it bad, will it mess up the ssd and it’s windows or something. Are those two anyhow related to motherboard chipset or something.

No I wouldn't worry. As long as the old HDD remains disconnected while W10 install, it shouldn't be an issue.

Windows will swap drive letters depending on what OS you boot from (the currently running OS drive partition is usually always drive letter C).

Feb 9, 2022
Yeah I don’t even want them both connected. I simply want to take the ssd out and plug back the hdd with previous os and games on it to play. Then unplug and put the ssd back. Just wondered if I will get some sudden error or it will wipe out the ssd or cause any other problem

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah I don’t even want them both connected. I simply want to take the ssd out and plug back the hdd with previous os and games on it to play. Then unplug and put the ssd back. Just wondered if I will get some sudden error or it will wipe out the ssd or cause any other problem
If only one of them is connected, and both of the OSs were install while the drive was in this particular system, there should be no issues at all.

Reactions: ZuluGapurtu

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Wouldn't be a problem as each Windows was installed on same hardware when other drive wasn't present.

If I were you my concern might be the frequency of the swap as in how often you plan to unplug this and plug that and vice versa. The cable headers and ports might become kind of loose as a result of tension/pressure. Also risk of static discharge that comes with handling components.

Unless you just remove drive letter from within Windows prior to booting from the 'other drive' or that you're gonna do the physical plug/unplug just a few times.

Reactions: ZuluGapurtu
Solution