Switching motherboards, but keeping OEM product key question?

Twelfth

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
I'm switching motherboards and my current motherboard has a Windows 8 key baked into the bios (now running Windows 10 with free upgrade). If I grab the key and activate it on the new motherboard, what happens when I sell the old motherboard? Also, I'm running Windows 10, but the key is for Windows 8. What will happen when I re-activate the key?

Thanks!

Solution
The "OEM" vs "Retail" distinction is now more of a grey area than ever.

Windows 10 can/will allow "significant hardware changes" - which, while not specifically stated, has successfully included new builds.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Ensure it's linked to your MS account - then install on your new setup and use the troubleshooter (or the built-in live chat functionality) to activate.

No guarantees, as MS don't specify what constitutes as a hardware "change" - realistically, you'd be hard pressed to claim a new build = a change.... but it's worth a try.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The "OEM" vs "Retail" distinction is now more of a grey area than ever.

Windows 10 can/will allow "significant hardware changes" - which, while not specifically stated, has successfully included new builds.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Ensure it's linked to your MS account - then install on your new setup and use the troubleshooter (or the built-in live chat functionality) to activate.

No guarantees, as MS don't specify what constitutes as a hardware "change" - realistically, you'd be hard pressed to claim a new build = a change.... but it's worth a try.

Solution

Twelfth

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

Thanks for the help! I'll most likely just purchase a new key, I don't wanna go through the trouble.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Realistically, you may aswell try. No harm, and you really don't have to anything (other than using the troubleshooter) that you wouldnt have to do anyway.

If you get it activated; awesome.
If you don't, you already have Windows installed etc - and you can buy a key and enter it to activate