Switching motherboards help

jwright201

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I currently have an asus m5a97 r2.0 for an fx 6300. I am soon switching over to an i5 4590 with an h97i chipset mobo. Will I need to replace the hard drive I have now, or can I keep the hard drive and everything will work fine? (crossing my fingers) Just curious because I'm not sure if the new bios will cause anything weird with the hard drive. Both boards are asus, if that helps.

Solution
MAYBE, if you bought a very cheap windows its probably a OEM version.
this means u need to by a new windows key,unless u got the full retail version.

but everything will still work fine after u bought a new key, insert it in the screen u get.
make sure u delete your old bios , to be more clear just watch a guide :)
MAYBE, if you bought a very cheap windows its probably a OEM version.
this means u need to by a new windows key,unless u got the full retail version.

but everything will still work fine after u bought a new key, insert it in the screen u get.
make sure u delete your old bios , to be more clear just watch a guide :)

Solution

Toddman37

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
You'll only need a new key to reactivate Windows! I just swapped mobos in a new gaming pc (mini ATX to ATX), luckily Microsoft Support reactivated windows 10 for me over the phone FREE!

jwright201

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Ok so Just rebuilt and reused the hard drive crossing my fingers that it would work... and it DID. Not really sure how after everyone just said it probably wouldn't but thanks for the help!

Toddman37

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Glad to hear you got it to work!

I had issues migrating Windows 10, from my 1 week old gaming pc's 2tb hdd to a 480gb intel ssd! Intels migration software Missed a partition on the original hdd. So I used my reinstall dvd, to install a clean version of Win 10. Then I reactivated Win 10, using Microsoft Support on the web, and my Smartphone.

Took about 30 mins, and I was up and running! This ssd, is fast. My pc with the 2 tb hdd took 55 seconds, to go from Off to running windows 10. Now in Only 10 Seconds, my pc goes from off or a restart to up and running in Windows 10!!! Yippy...

TRENDING THREADS