SWTOR Gains 2 Million Users from F2P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Good, bad, or ugly, they're going to say this game is doing great until the day it shuts down.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but that's just how it works.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
MMO's need to stop trying to be WoW. You are not goinmg to succeed by making a WoW clone and adopting a P2P business model. WoW succeeds because it has so much content. There's no feasable way you can make a new MMO with as much content as WoW or EVE or any of the other MMO's that are still P2P. Players will burn through the content in a new MMO quick, and either move on to the next new MMO or back to an older one. That's what happened to me in SWTOR, I leveled 2 characters to max and got bored because there wasn't much endgame content. I wasn't going to keep paying $15 a month to level more characters to max.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
"two million new accounts have been created "
That doesn't mean 2 million people are now playing the game. I imagine 60% at least didn't bother to come back after they realised what a mess of a WoW clone it is.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]seller417[/nom]Brilliant, WOW will be next[/citation]
Highly doubtful....
One of the mistiques about wow is that if you work hard enough you can be an epic player.
But f2p often ends in p2w... not in the wow formula...

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Highly doubtful....One of the mistiques about wow is that if you work hard enough you can be an epic player.But f2p often ends in p2w... not in the wow formula...[/citation]
well, they could always sell pets and mounts....

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I would love to play it... IF I COULD INSTALL IT!!! I spent hours trying to get it to install and download... tinkered with it, and no such luck!!! It's a total waste of time... If they can fix the installer, I would consider playing it.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Stimpack[/nom]Good, bad, or ugly, they're going to say this game is doing great until the day it shuts down.I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but that's just how it works.[/citation]

Not at all. I think you hit the nail on the head. First and foremost, these companies are in business to make money. As soon as there is no legal repercussion to closing it down, risk mgmt say OK, and the cost of supporting it supersedes the money it brings in... i.e. it becomes dead weight to them... they will pull the plug (or sell it).
Most publicly traded companies will do this in trying to keep their quarterly share holders happy. Kind of myopic, but that's how businesses work.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]MMO's need to stop trying to be WoW. You are not goinmg to succeed by making a WoW clone and adopting a P2P business model. WoW succeeds because it has so much content. There's no feasable way you can make a new MMO with as much content as WoW or EVE or any of the other MMO's that are still P2P. Players will burn through the content in a new MMO quick, and either move on to the next new MMO or back to an older one. That's what happened to me in SWTOR, I leveled 2 characters to max and got bored because there wasn't much endgame content. I wasn't going to keep paying $15 a month to level more characters to max.[/citation]

content wise i got 4 words for you THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE , this game WILL kill WoW beause

1. it is NOT a Wow clone
2. it will have far more content than WoW offers , as it wil cover all of tameriel from skyrim to black marsh to morrowind and beyond.

Firzenizer

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Just an other generic MMO with nothing in it. Gear-based, level based MMOs are seen. We need more of skill based MMOs like Darkfall and Mortal Online. And hopefully Elderscrolls online will be something like it. I just highly doubt it. It will probably be made for casual carebears with no proper PvP and no proper guild activities.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]content wise i got 4 words for you THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE , this game WILL kill WoW beause 1. it is NOT a Wow clone 2. it will have far more content than WoW offers , as it wil cover all of tameriel from skyrim to black marsh to morrowind and beyond.[/citation]
I've been watching ESO closely. It's the first MMO in awhile to give me hope. I'm not sure that it will offer more content than WoW at launch. Not sure exactly how much WoW has but it must be alot, they've been adding content for what, 8 years? But, I read an article today about someone from Zenimax at PAX saying that ESO would have 400 hours of content at launch. That's pretty impressive. But ESO looks impressive all around, great graphics and art style, action combat with Skyrim like mouse clicking to attack supplemented by a small 5 slot action bar, fully voiced. I'm definitely psyched for ESO.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]Firzenizer[/nom]Just an other generic MMO with nothing in it. Gear-based, level based MMOs are seen. We need more of skill based MMOs like Darkfall and Mortal Online. And hopefully Elderscrolls online will be something like it. I just highly doubt it. It will probably be made for casual carebears with no proper PvP and no proper guild activities.[/citation]
PvP in ESO sounds pretty impressive to me so far. Fighting for areas in Cyrodil, laying seige to enemy controlled towns. As for Guild's, I know when Jesse Cox (OMFGCata) got invited to play the game a few months ago, Zenimax had also brought in Guild Leaders from some of the main Guilds and Jesse said they were writing down ideas those Guild Leaders were giving them. So I have high hopes for the Guild system.

leyaena

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]content wise i got 4 words for you THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE , this game WILL kill WoW beause 1. it is NOT a Wow clone 2. it will have far more content than WoW offers , as it wil cover all of tameriel from skyrim to black marsh to morrowind and beyond.[/citation]

New MMO's since the dawn of time (of WoW?) have been praised as WoW-killers for exactly these 2 reasons prior to release. I'm thinking of Rift, SWTOR and GW2 most recently.

The thing is, prior to release people can speculate and wish all they want, but WoW's far from dead yet, much less so than quite a few of those MMO's that were promoted as being WoW-killers.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]Firzenizer[/nom]Just an other generic MMO with nothing in it. Gear-based, level based MMOs are seen. We need more of skill based MMOs like Darkfall and Mortal Online. And hopefully Elderscrolls online will be something like it. I just highly doubt it. It will probably be made for casual carebears with no proper PvP and no proper guild activities.[/citation]
Yeah and everyone has all the time in the world to dedicate their free time to compete in PVP and run guild activities. In my case, I appreciate being able to log in for an hour here and there and be able to do something, as that is about the amount of time I have available between work and family matters.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I got to lv9 in beta, uninstalled the game. F2P came around, got to lv14, uninstalled the game.
WoW (TBC in particular which was pinnacle of PvP and PvE) spoiled the genre for me.

Lunatic Magnet

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]leyaena[/nom]New MMO's since the dawn of time (of WoW?) have been praised as WoW-killers for exactly these 2 reasons prior to release. I'm thinking of Rift, SWTOR and GW2 most recently.The thing is, prior to release people can speculate and wish all they want, but WoW's far from dead yet, much less so than quite a few of those MMO's that were promoted as being WoW-killers.[/citation]

Few, if any, MMos have promoted themselves as WoW killers. That's normally players and the press. The only thing that will 'kill WoW" is Blizzard. No new game, regardless of polish, content and features can lure people away from the archetype MMO especially if they're heavily invested in it.

WoW is both the best and worst thing for MMOs and I'm skeptical any new MMO will be a drastic departure from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS