SWTOR Lag Spikes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

startingbidss

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hello!

I recently upgraded my GPU to play SWTOR w/o lag, but yesterday when I played for the 1st time, I noticed some major FPS drops.

My pc:

. i5 750
. Asus p7p55d-pro
. Nvidia GTX 580
. 4GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance
. Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W

Usually I was getting 70+ FPS, but sometimes it drops do 20-30, specially in BGs.
Any ideas? I set the nvidia driver (most recent) to full performance, and in game I put most stuffs on low (like shade etc) except Character detail (high) and Texture (High).

I'm w/o ideas about what to do. I doubt the this game will require an GTX 580 SLI to run in max w/o lag... so I must be doing something wrong.

BTW: I play at 1920x1080!

incantus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Swtor has a memory leak atm, it should be patched. running swtor on max graphics. i am experiencing fps drops over 30 mins of play...i start at 110fps and over that 30 mins it drops to around 35-40fps. basically it's lazy programming. the memory is consumed whilst you play just like in any other game but in swtor they have not coded it right to consume memory and then release it back to the os...so you end up with all your ram used continually. it's a quick fix if they ever get around to implementing it...as for the people who dont have the problem, i am very jealous :p

cpu - intel i7 3.06
ram - 24gb kingston blue
psu - 850w CiT
sli - 2x nvidia gts450
motherboard - intel Dx580g

etherealpuppy

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I have a GTX 580 normally I experience extremely smooth gameplay in swtor between 80-110fps, however occasionally I get significant spikes in performance, looking in msi afterburner my GPU usage drops sharply 0%-10% when this occurs, normal operation in swtor is a consistent 98% usage rate.

Reinstalling the nvidia drivers will clear it until it starts up again several days later, its really annoying me im getting into the habit now of installing nvidia drivers every-time I turn my machine on.

<EDIT>

Forgot to mention this is at max graphics settings with AA and shadow set to high 1920x1080 res, when the spikes occurs I have tried setting the graphics to the lowest setting with no change frame rate drop still occur regardless of settings.