Symantec Confirms Hackers Breached Network in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
That's right, it's far better to trust all your sensitive data to a AV/FW made buy a small company in the Czech Republic! ;)

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
@jacekring Keep in mind that this hacker group is based in India, and English probably isn't their 1st language, so I wouldn't doubt their intelligence just because of their English skills. And BTW, it's script kiddie, not tool boy.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"The only real threat at this time resides with customers using pcAnywhere"

Good to know that only their "PC remote access" software may be compromised.;
Some security company you've got there, boys :)

/SARCASM

cyberscan

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
The only Norton product that I use is Norton Power Eraser. This piece of software is excellent for the one time removal of malware such as rootkits. Have not needed to use this except on computers people bring to me to fix.

I use an old computer I purchased for about $20 as a firewall. ClamAV, HAVP, P3Scan, along with iptables provides my network with real time antivirus protection. In addition, I run Microsoft Security Essentials on each of the Windows boxen that are located behind the firewall. So far, there has not been any problem with this setup. However, I can also run Malwarebytes Antimalware on any computer on which I suspect malware. HAVP is configure to block all executables from being downloaded with the exception of update software. If anyone in my family wants to download software, I can do it for them after I check out the software to make sure that it is not malware.

In addition, I perform regular Java, Flash, and Acrobat Reader software updates. I also disable Javascript in the Adobe pdf reader software. In addition, I recommend people use (Google) Chrome or Firefox as their default browser and Thunderbird for their email client.

As a published author with three decades of I.T. experience, I do have to say that properly configured computers running free software are more secure than those where the owners depend on the latest whiz bang and expensive software to protect.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
@cyberscan: As an anonymous person with 5 decades of professional IT experience, I have to say that trolling won't get you anywhere. ;)

f-14

Distinguished
i thought anybody with any brains quit using norton and cybermedia and other such popular a/v's after mydoom came out back in early 2000's and these av/s didn't catch it or stop it until almost a year later despite all the spoof variants.
i know i quit using it after i couldn't change my computers date to april 1st 2100 and then install their software and change my date back to the correct date back in 2002?3? so i could get a life time subscription XD
tried everything else tested it against some the best viruses/trojans/keyloggers i collected & i burned to a cd, if it doesn't catch them all it's crap in my book.
there isn't an a/v software that has caught them all yet on the first try, so anybody who touts any a/v on the market is the best , the titanic was the best in it's time also, didn't even make it out of it's maiden voyage did it?
first time every time or it's crap!

cyberscan

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
@f-14 This is my point exactly. No antivirus is going to catch everything. This is why I recommend running two to three separate products at the same time along with using the least privilege necessary to perform task and disabling any unnecessary features. A good product doesn't have to be an expensive product.

In fact, a combination of products along with good operator sense will prevent infection in 99.9% of the time. To tell you the truth, I don't think there is any "best" product out there. There is only bad, good, and better. What one antivirus solution doesn't pick up may be picked up by another. Each solution is better than others for certain types of malicious software, so by using a combination, one can get just about all of the baddies. Blocking executables until they are properly vetted also makes a malware author's job much more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.