SYNC With MyFord Touch: Automotive Infotainment For All

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
If you go to mp3car.com they have everything you need to build a fully functional personal computer in any car. The site has been around for years and they have pretty much everything anyone would need if they were interested in putting a PC system in there car. They also have forums. I am actually planning on putting a quad core pc in my firebird soon as I get some cash saved up.. Already have some of the parts ill need.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I'm aware of mp3car.com and had a carputer myself back in '04. My friend has one now in his e28 BMW and the software is nowhere near as fluid and quite clunky (Centrafuse). By the time you're done buying everything (hardware and software) you've spent quite a bit and may as well go with a higher end in-dash nav unit, it will work better for in car use and not be as messy.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I don't believe the Town Car ever had SYNC as an option, the platform is quite old and Ford killed off the car and never gave it SYNC.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Why didn't the bench marks include Hyundai's BlueLink or EchoStar systems? I have 2 Hyundai's with BlueLink and it is very similar to the SYNC system. My Wife's car can talk to my car via voice to text or POI sharing - that is a cool feature.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

This was our first infotainment article so our baseline was the vehicle we had. We are covering KIA's UVO next and everyone else too, no worries.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I was going to make a comment about the car I have been driving for a while, but then I remembered that it would have nothing at all to do with this article...

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]tuanies[/nom]I'm aware of mp3car.com and had a carputer myself back in '04. My friend has one now in his e28 BMW and the software is nowhere near as fluid and quite clunky (Centrafuse). By the time you're done buying everything (hardware and software) you've spent quite a bit and may as well go with a higher end in-dash nav unit, it will work better for in car use and not be as messy.[/citation]

I dunno, suppose it depends on your setup. Here check out this video, this guys system seems responsive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4n5ZM9Lv20&list=PLD49DE3D17FB89402&index=41&feature=plpp_video

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

First gen systems use a Freescale i.MX31 series I believe.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
The perceived quality only dropped because of sync because its not explained very well and people are stupid. If they call in to complain because they cant figure it out its counted against them. There is nothing wrong with it. PEBKAC remains relevant if slightly altered.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
now that i read through some of the article when it says the sd card slot is used by the nav package could you copy the maps onto a bigger sd card and load music onto it and have it work that way?? would be cool to know. id like my next vehicle to be an ecoboost fusion with a manual, no auto garbage for me.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I highly doubt it since maps typically have some form of protection on them. Just use a tiny large capacity flash drive. I love the new Fusion, beautiful car.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
My only problem with the bluetooth in the Ford Fusion we have is if I'm on the phone inside the house and my GF takes the car, when she starts it up my call goes to the bluetooth until she leaves the driveway, then I get my call back! lol I guess the range for the bluetooth on blackberry / ford is like 45 feet!

xtech21

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Sync has Major problems even since the new update. Ford quality has dropped and Sync isnt helping. Go to any Honest dealership and ask or make the syncmyride forums public so people can see the owners that compain about it daily. I do wonder how much ford had to pay this site for a postive review. Oh and does it matter that sync only supports att, verzon, iphones but not many other carriers like u.s. celluar. Stock price for ford when sync first came out 18. a share ford now 10. a share. Before anyone publishes a article about this they dont just drive a car for a week they talk to owners and people that have used the sync, myfordtouch, mylincolntouch daily.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
SYNC phone support has nothing to do with the carrier, its up to the phone manufacturer to support standard Bluetooth profiles and Bluetooth profile support has always been sketchy between vendors and devices. I did not have any issues with the Focus. What particular problems are you talking about and with what car and I'll look into it.

xtech21

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Using a 2013 edge and U.S. Celluar i phone can not connect to sync services. Also about 2 times a month the dealership has to pull the fuse for Sync locking up. I was givin the following information from my ford dealer.
Jun 19 2012 4775 -SYNC/MYFORD TOUCH/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - TRAFFIC DIRECTIONS AND INFORMATION/NAVIGATION
- UNABLE TO LOCATE VEHICLE

SOME 2010-2013 SYNC/MYFORD TOUCH/MYLINCOLN TOUCH EQUIPPED VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 5/14/12 MAY
EXPERIENCE A VOICE PROMPT INDICATING SYNC SERVICE'S TRAFFIC, DIRECTIONS OR INFORMATION (TDI) IS
UNABLE TO LOCATE THE VEHICLE OR THAT A GPS ISSUE IS PRESENT. VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH
MYFORD TOUCH/MYLINCOLN TOUCH AND NAVIGATION MAY EXPERIENCE ON SCREEN MESSAGE INDICATING NAVIGATION
STOPPED FUNCTIONING CONTACT YOUR DEALER, GPS HAS RED STRIKE THROUGH X, NAVIGATION UNAVAILABLE IS
DISPLAYED IN THE UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE DISPLAY SCREEN, AND/OR THE LAST KNOWN VEHICLE LOCATION
MAY BE DISPLAYED INSTEAD OF CURRENT LOCATION. THE GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM MODULE (GPSM) WILL NEED TO
BE RESET BY PERFORMING A BATTERY DISCONNECT FOR 5 MINUTES FOLLOWING WORKSHOP MANUAL WSM SECTION 414-01.
ENGINEERING IS CURRENTLY INVESTIGATING,MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES

xtech21

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Also as an after thought if you look a fords compatiable phone list in a syncmyride account they do go by carriers. ATT, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile are the only carriers that ford says they will garantee to work and even then most phones will not have features aviable. If you use us celluar and it doesnt work they tell you it isnt on he matrix and to change contracts at your own expense and yet before you purchase the vehicle ford does not supply a list to help with your buying decision.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Let me check with Ford when I get back from my trip and see if I can dig up more information for you. Our tester was a Ford Focus and this could be an issue exclusive to the Edge. What exact model cell phone are you using?

G

just got a ford 2013 edge... had it for three days and worked fine, now even when it says my iphone is connected the BT audio does not connect and will not play my music at all
... tried resetting it and resetting the phone... still not working

Cribner

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
MyKey does not require a Ford vehicle with push-button start as this article indicates; it's a feature of SYNC and MyFord Touch cars with either a standard transponder key or a keyless start. It has. Even available on many models for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.