[SOLVED] Syncing 2 computers using cloud

ItsKolapo

Honorable
May 23, 2015
I'm not sure if this is the correct category for this post. I haven't been able to find much online about what I want to do.

Basically I run a business that requires me to use my desktop everyday. I'm about to head to college and I plan on buying a 2nd desktop to keep at school so I can leave my current one at home. Is there anyway to have these computers synchronize. I would want them to have all the same files and programs. My first thought was to just use the same hard drive for both, but I was wondering if I could just link them somehow using a cloud service.

I know this is a really weird request, but any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Solution
I'm not that familiar with the remote desktop. If the computer at home shut off, would I lose access to the computer?

I also want a gaming rig at both places because I do play games a couple times a week. Would doing the hard drive thing have any implications?
Yes you would. But with wake on lan you could turn it back on again when you needed it. Honestly with today's power saving, I'd just leave it on and turn off the monitor, speakers, etc.

Gaming over rdp won't work, so you would need 2x physical computers. Easiest thing to do since you won't be using both at the same time is to simply have an ssd that you simply take with you to each system. Make the hardware on both systems identical and it shouldn't be an issue except...

kanewolf

Titan
I'm not sure if this is the correct category for this post. I haven't been able to find much online about what I want to do.

Basically I run a business that requires me to use my desktop everyday. I'm about to head to college and I plan on buying a 2nd desktop to keep at school so I can leave my current one at home. Is there anyway to have these computers synchronize. I would want them to have all the same files and programs. My first thought was to just use the same hard drive for both, but I was wondering if I could just link them somehow using a cloud service.

I know this is a really weird request, but any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Setup a VPN to home and remotely access your existing desktop.
If you want to sync, how much data (number files and GB) are we talking?

Setup a VPN to home and remotely access your existing desktop.
This would be the best and most secure way. You can then backup to the system you are using, but honestly I wouldn't even buy a full computer as you can just a chromebook or even something as old as a win 98se computer to connect to yours at home via remote desktop. This is how I have been working for years.

And because you want to a solid link between both sites, I would invest in ipsec tunnel capable business class routers--these can nail up a 24x7 tunnel securely over the Internet and no device will even know the difference. So you can do things like print on your home printer or they can print on a printer you have. You can sync two nas units across the link as they will only need local IPs, etc. All sorts of cool stuff.

ItsKolapo

Honorable
May 23, 2015
This would be the best and most secure way. You can then backup to the system you are using, but honestly I wouldn't even buy a full computer as you can just a chromebook or even something as old as a win 98se computer to connect to yours at home via remote desktop. This is how I have been working for years.

And because you want to a solid link between both sites, I would invest in ipsec tunnel capable business class routers--these can nail up a 24x7 tunnel securely over the Internet and no device will even know the difference. So you can do things like print on your home printer or they can print on a printer you have. You can sync two nas units across the link as they will only need local IPs, etc. All sorts of cool stuff.
I'm not that familiar with the remote desktop. If the computer at home shut off, would I lose access to the computer?

I also want a gaming rig at both places because I do play games a couple times a week. Would doing the hard drive thing have any implications?

Yes you would. But with wake on lan you could turn it back on again when you needed it. Honestly with today's power saving, I'd just leave it on and turn off the monitor, speakers, etc.

Gaming over rdp won't work, so you would need 2x physical computers. Easiest thing to do since you won't be using both at the same time is to simply have an ssd that you simply take with you to each system. Make the hardware on both systems identical and it shouldn't be an issue except possibly with windows activation getting fubarred.

Solution