[SOLVED] Synology DS212J NAS hard drives?

sidpost

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
I have a Synology DS212J that lacks hard drives. I'm debating buying some Seagate IronWolf 6TB NAS Hard Drives. Does the DS212J support the 6TB capacity with a modern software load (I read some old reviews saying they only supported up to 3TB)? The specification just say 'Serial-ATA" so I'm assuming these SATA drives are backward compatible.

Regarding IronWolf, how do these drives rate against similar competition in terms of price and performance? It looks like they have all the modern features but, I'm not terribly knowledgable regarding NAS drives.

TIA,
Sid

Solution
I have a Synology DS212J that lacks hard drives. I'm debating buying some Seagate IronWolf 6TB NAS Hard Drives. Does the DS212J support the 6TB capacity with a modern software load (I read some old reviews saying they only supported up to 3TB)? The specification just say 'Serial-ATA" so I'm assuming these SATA drives are backward compatible.

Regarding IronWolf, how do these drives rate against similar competition in terms of price and performance? It looks like they have all the modern features but, I'm not terribly knowledgable regarding NAS drives.

TIA,
Sid
I just looked and was very surprised that the DS212j is still getting software updates. Since that is the case, I would feel fairly comfortable with 6TB disks...

kanewolf

Titan

TIA,
Sid
I just looked and was very surprised that the DS212j is still getting software updates. Since that is the case, I would feel fairly comfortable with 6TB disks. There are REDDIT posts with users having 6TB drives in a DS212j.

Solution

sidpost

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
5400 will be cooler and lower performance. It depends on what you are doing. If you are using it for backups and streaming media the 5400 would be OK. If you are trying to use it for something more real-time then you probably want the 7200s.

Thanks! I've used some 5900RPM drives before but, they seemed a bit slow even on a simple ethernet network.

Today I'm using an HP dual 8-core Xeon workstation on Gigabit ethernet so, the added RPM and cache seem to be worth the extra heat and power consumption. If this NAS proves its worth, I'll also likely upgrade and port these drives over to a ~5 drive NAS. Right now, 6TB mirrored is a reasonable capacity but, in a few months, I'll need more space so a 5x6TB striped RAID is likely where I will go so I have better performance and capacity while retaining data recovery with a hard drive failure.

Separately, I will need to rethink my offline data backup options in case I get hacked with ransomware. I run good protection and have good security awareness but, no one and nothing is perfect. I also might tweak my hard drive configuration in my workstation as I'm running only 2 hard drives and 1 SSD now.

sidpost

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Thought I would update everyone, got both 6TB drives installed and they are up and running.McAfee and Windows 10 didn't make it easy getting things connected but, after disabling my firewall and toggling my ethernet port from DHCP to manual and back, got logged in and setup.

Still have some network access glitches and firewall blocking to figure out but, it looks like it is going to work out as intended until I upgrade to something with a bit more horsepower and capabilities. Experience with this one should make my next acquisition decision much easier.