Question System and boot problem

lumpy1337

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2015
So I had a hdd with windows 7 for awhile got my first ssd and windows 10 install and everything went fine it seems never asked me to uninstall windows 7 or anything and when I boot up it asks me hey windows 10 or 7 well I never thought anything of it and boot into 10 well now I want to hook up more ssd and get rid of my hdd and my windows 10 is on the ssd and so is the boot partition but windows 7 is on the hdd with the system partition and if I unhook the hdd when I power on it tells me there is no boot manager.

All i want to do is get rid of my hdd and windows 7 and just have windows 10 on my ssd and be able to hook up my new ssd

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In a case like this, would download and create an installer USB of the OS you desire using. Use the advanced option where you see all the disks/partitions and delete all of them to unallocated.

Power down. Disconnect the HDD.

Power back up and boot from the USB again to install to the SSD. Once finished power down and reconnect the HDD or other storage. You may need to use Disk Manager to initialize/format/partition the other disks.

lumpy1337

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2015
In a case like this, would download and create an installer USB of the OS you desire using. Use the advanced option where you see all the disks/partitions and delete all of them to unallocated.

Power down. Disconnect the HDD.

Power back up and boot from the USB again to install to the SSD. Once finished power down and reconnect the HDD or other storage. You may need to use Disk Manager to initialize/format/partition the other disks.
So when I try to use the USB it tell me no boot manager same thing as when my hdd is disconnected even tho this is the usb I installed from and it booted from it b4 when I first installed win 10

lumpy1337

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2015
You have gone to boot order and selected the USB as the first device?

Probably a good idea to get the most current version of W10 for the installer directly from MS. This way you can avoid unnecessary update processes.
Yeah idk I can't figure it out been fighting with this for over 4 hours like why when I installed windows 10 to my ssd it installed crucial stuff for it to function and boot not with it and on the hdd and not the ssd where I specified windows 10 to be installed

Last edited by a moderator:

lumpy1337

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2015
You have gone to boot order and selected the USB as the first device?

Probably a good idea to get the most current version of W10 for the installer directly from MS. This way you can avoid unnecessary update processes.
Ok my dude I got the installer usb working

I disconnected the hard drive so it's only my ssd which has a 120 gig partition and a 810 with 372 avaliable the 120 gig section I made just for installing win 10 on last time so and this was also my windows 7 set up on the hdd so I could just format that partition and clean install

How ever this time when I formatted it def formatted the drive 120 gigs avaliable but "windows can not be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an mbr partition table. On efi systems windows can only be installed to get disks."

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Use the advanced option tab to delete the other partitions back to unallocated space. Not positive if it is going to allow you to pick a portion of that unallocated space to install the newer OS on or not, in the case that you also wanted to reinstall 7 and have dual boot.