Question System Black Screen to Freeze

silent54

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
First off, I have a built system built late 2022; MSI motherboard Z690, MSI RTX 3080 LGR video card, i5 12600k processor, GSkill RAM, EVGA 1000 watt psu (about 6 yrs old), and Corsair case. This issue has been occurring over the last 4-5 months but not all the time. So, I can go days to weeks without the issue. My Corsair led fans are powered from the psu obviously but the leds receive their commands through the MBs USB heads with software. So, it starts with my monitor going black lose of signal. I can still hear the people I’m talking to and anything going in the game with me still occurs. Then all the leds on the fans go out but fans are still spinning to include the video card fans. A little longer then the system seems to freeze. After restart, all is good and can be for a week or more but sometimes it could just be a day. Because it affects multiple components, I’m not sure where to start. Could my 6+ yr old psu be dying? Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA 1000 watt psu (about 6 yrs old)
You might want to see if you can source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU and power up your system. You should also try and run DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) then manually reinstall the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsttrator.

silent54

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Unfortunately, no access to another PSU. Just bought one instead. I have a hard time see it having to do with video drivers. That would affect fan leds and the system freeze. I know it isn’t the video card as I through my gtx 1070 in the system when it first started but had same issues a few days later. Though maybe MB but saw nothing that would indicate any failure. I’ll find out soon.