[SOLVED] System BSOD from possibly overheating and not sure why.

ohitsray

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
So last night I was playing some games and doing a few benchmarks in games that had benchmark options and I was experimenting with DLSS. During this time, I noticed that there was a windows update ready to be installed. I held off on doing it right away and decided to do it before going to bed. So after doing a few benchmarks on Red Dead Redemption 2 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I decided to cap the night off playing Apex Legends. Mid-match while I was running into an engagement, my system blue screened and about 10 seconds later a message from the BIOS popped up about the CPU overheating. I guess after correcting itself, windows update started. But the CPU overheating message would pop up a couple more times until it finished. I build this system a little over a year ago and this is the first time I've seen this happen. Earlier today I was playing Apex Legends while monitoring my CPU temps, and it got pretty high, near 88C. I'm just a little confused why this happened since I've done many long hour game sessions before and never had this problem. I was suspecting it may have been the Windows update lingering in the background causing my CPU to overheat, but I really don't know. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (boosted to 4.57 GHZ 1.4 V)
MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming Edge WIFI
CPU COOLER: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R V2
MEMORY: Teamgroup TFORCE DARK Za (2X16GB 3600MHZ)
GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080 Ti
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+, 80 Plus Gold 850W
CASE: MSI Gungnir 100R

Solution
A Windows update would not cuase your pc to overheat. My guess would be your cooler is misbehaving. Monitor your liquid temps to see how fast they rise using a game. Then when the temps get higher feel the tubes running to the radiator and the return one. What do they feel like?
A Windows update would not cuase your pc to overheat. My guess would be your cooler is misbehaving. Monitor your liquid temps to see how fast they rise using a game. Then when the temps get higher feel the tubes running to the radiator and the return one. What do they feel like?

Solution