Question System build for elderly family member

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Hello all, I’m hoping to start some discussion about building a desktop system for an elderly family member who lives alone (80+ years old). They are reasonably capable - worked out how to send emoji messages on Android by themselves! - but really struggles with their existing Windows 10 laptop. I’m also their main IT support person, but live interstate.

Current problems:
- 15.6” screen on Dell Inspiron is a bit too small (had cataract surgery)
- incessant Windows pop-ups and alerts really confuse them mid-task
- they really struggle with double clicking.a mouse and end up moving icons around a lot… adding to future confusion

They need full-fat desktop OS for banking, PDF management (e.g. bills/invoices), typing e-mails, and Skype or WhatsApp video chats (therefore a webcam is needed), and sharing the occasional photo.

I usually provide phone tech support, and remote access via TeamViewer when needed.

We tried an iPad and it’s not capable enough (and screen too small for their vision). So I’m planning on setting up a proper desktop with 24-27” screen and full size keyboard/mouse.

Questions for the forum:
  1. What OS would you install? I haven’t been impressed with Win11’s recent interface shenanigans, especially random pop-ups and suggestions for new products. It’s enough to tip an elderly person over the edge cognitively. Been considering Mint Linux or Ubuntu, given their basic task requirements. MacOS an option too, but none of us have used Mac for >10 years.
  2. Best current remote support software? TeamViewer still works but it’s also guilty of random popups trying to get you to subscribe. Confuses the heck out of them whenever I ask them to read out access details.
  3. Backup systems for someone who has trouble plugging in USB devices?
  4. Set-and-forget security solutions (currently have unlock origin installed, but I noticed phishing and unsafe web popups still happen with Windows Defender)?
  5. Password management: I think BitWarden is a bit too complicated for them, and they’re currently using a paper notebook to store passwords. Eeek.
  6. Any personal experiences with your elderly family in terms of what worked and what didn’t?
Thank you very much! This kind of thing doesn’t seem to get talked about much in the tech discourse, where it’s mostly an able young person’s world.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Some of what you list above might be problematic for a Linux based system. Is there Skype for Ubuntu?
Edit- in a quick look it appears that Skype does have a version for Linux.

I feel your pain though. I purchased a new laptop for my motherback at Christmas, similar age, and she hasn't even bothered to open the box yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedSmelly

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
What popups?

A normal Windows install does not do that.
Copilot promotions after routine windows updates. Edge repeatedly trying to make itself default. Asking user to create a Microsoft account (currently using a local account).

Just bear in mind not every 80 year old is as sharp as a retired USAF pilot/engineer.

USAFRet

Titan
Copilot promotions after routine windows updates. Edge repeatedly trying to make itself default. Asking user to create a Microsoft account (currently using a local account).
My current Win 11 Pro install does not do that.
Nor the Win 11 Home on my Surface Go laptop.
Yes, even when running the daily driver local account.

I'm pretty sure all of that can be turned OFF.

My current Win 11 Pro install does not do that.
Nor the Win 11 Home on my Surface Go laptop.
Yes, even when running the daily driver local account.

I'm pretty sure all of that can be turned OFF.
It might be just windows 10. They are really trying to force their stupid copilot thing. I think you could even tell it to uninstall but they put it back next update. So far some registry edits and group policy setting have prevent it but who know with microsoft and their constant installing of garbage.

Reactions: NedSmelly
Hello all, I’m hoping to start some discussion about building a desktop system for an elderly family member who lives alone (80+ years old). They are reasonably capable - worked out how to send emoji messages on Android by themselves! - but really struggles with their existing Windows 10 laptop. I’m also their main IT support person, but live interstate.

Current problems:
- 15.6” screen on Dell Inspiron is a bit too small (had cataract surgery)
- incessant Windows pop-ups and alerts really confuse them mid-task
- they really struggle with double clicking.a mouse and end up moving icons around a lot… adding to future confusion

They need full-fat desktop OS for banking, PDF management (e.g. bills/invoices), typing e-mails, and Skype or WhatsApp video chats (therefore a webcam is needed), and sharing the occasional photo.

I usually provide phone tech support, and remote access via TeamViewer when needed.

We tried an iPad and it’s not capable enough (and screen too small for their vision). So I’m planning on setting up a proper desktop with 24-27” screen and full size keyboard/mouse.

Questions for the forum:
  1. What OS would you install? I haven’t been impressed with Win11’s recent interface shenanigans, especially random pop-ups and suggestions for new products. It’s enough to tip an elderly person over the edge cognitively. Been considering Mint Linux or Ubuntu, given their basic task requirements. MacOS an option too, but none of us have used Mac for >10 years.
  2. Best current remote support software? TeamViewer still works but it’s also guilty of random popups trying to get you to subscribe. Confuses the heck out of them whenever I ask them to read out access details.
  3. Backup systems for someone who has trouble plugging in USB devices?
  4. Set-and-forget security solutions (currently have unlock origin installed, but I noticed phishing and unsafe web popups still happen with Windows Defender)?
  5. Password management: I think BitWarden is a bit too complicated for them, and they’re currently using a paper notebook to store passwords. Eeek.
  6. Any personal experiences with your elderly family in terms of what worked and what didn’t?
Thank you very much! This kind of thing doesn’t seem to get talked about much in the tech discourse, where it’s mostly an able young person’s world.
Look at an 'all in one pc' see if that fits your needs.

Reactions: artk2219
Look at an 'all in one pc' see if that fits your needs.
That's exactly what I was about to suggest, I know dells optiplex all in ones are pretty decent. They're easily serviceable, come with a socketed processor, upgradeable ram, easily swappable disks, and dell has a service manual available for all of their business machines. Some models even come with an internal pcie x16 slot for upgrades, you can get them used for a reasonable amount online as well.

Don’t get an all in one if you are the one working on it. But I would suggest one of their small form factor desktops. Usually pretty much tool less design and easy to get in and work on but a small footprint.
Working on it?........about the only areas you can fuss with are ram and storage and if you get enough of each at the start then there is no fussing.

Reactions: artk2219

USAFRet

Titan
I guess I think from a tech perspective(I'm a tech). So I guess I come from the place of ok if something goes wrong, who has to fix it, or replace a drive, etc. I know some of the hp all in ones I worked on in the past were kind of a pain imo.
If you're onsite, sure.

But it seems that the user and OP here are not in the same location....remote.

Low cost prebuilt something, and warranty.

I get it, but think about if the machine goes out of warranty in a year and then the op has to go visit at some time when say the ssd goes out and needs replacing. Just as someone who works in IT and who's done field repair as well, if you install that machine and help them set it up, you basically have ownership of that and especially older folks will keep coming back to you when they need help(learned that as a field tech and got to go to the same houses quite a bit).

That said, what might be a better solution....get the dell, but spend a little extra and get a business class machine with Dell Pro Support. Then if something happens you can have a tech from Dell show up and replace parts etc if it arises to that level ever.

EXACTLY. Guys are saying all in one, but look at the photos of that system and tell me that system wouldn't be a pain to take apart and fix if an internal piece failed outside of warranty. Case in point, we've got a laptop just out of warranty, waiting for a fan to come in for like a 2 year old machine. Thankfully it looks like 8 screws and 1 plug and 3 screws to remove the fan, so not hard, but that all in one could be fun for someone.

Just speaking as someone who's been doing tech work for 15 years....

We usually have Optiplexes in the office, but for example, look at this Inspiron

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty...69662c4cf69e10aaea874a673d3c1451&gclsrc=3p.ds

Small, cheap, 2 screws to get in the back, if that breaks down out of warranty, it's easy to get into and replace things. If the motherboard or cpu dies, then it's new pc time of course, but other than that, easy easy. And you can hook wireless keyboard and mouse up, any monitor you want and hide it behind said monitor, etc. Easy. Plain and simple.

Reactions: Lafong
Honestly i was with you all on this prior to taking on those optiplex all in ones. Theyve changed my mind though, its a quick thing to get to the internals. You just take it off the stand, remove the back panel toollessly since its only held down by a clip, and pull off a metal shield that is held on with 5 screws. Once youve completed those 3 steps youre clear to work on most things, easy access to the cpu, ram, m.2 slot, and sata slot. You actually dont even have to remove the metal shield if all you wanted to access is the ram and sata slots.
EXACTLY. Guys are saying all in one, but look at the photos of that system and tell me that system wouldn't be a pain to take apart and fix if an internal piece failed outside of warranty. Case in point, we've got a laptop just out of warranty, waiting for a fan to come in for like a 2 year old machine. Thankfully it looks like 8 screws and 1 plug and 3 screws to remove the fan, so not hard, but that all in one could be fun for someone.

Just speaking as someone who's been doing tech work for 15 years....

We usually have Optiplexes in the office, but for example, look at this Inspiron

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty...69662c4cf69e10aaea874a673d3c1451&gclsrc=3p.ds

Small, cheap, 2 screws to get in the back, if that breaks down out of warranty, it's easy to get into and replace things. If the motherboard or cpu dies, then it's new pc time of course, but other than that, easy easy. And you can hook wireless keyboard and mouse up, any monitor you want and hide it behind said monitor, etc. Easy. Plain and simple.
Definitely, the place i work at is also a dell shop, and they generally make their machines pretty easy to work on. They do use some proprietary crap like the power supplies (at least they're decent quality), cases, and motherboards, but they're all made to be pretty easily serviceable otherwise. I will say the optiplexs and latitudes are definitely built to a better standard than their client lines though.

USAFRet

Titan
Would you be comfortable getting this person a laptop (disregarding the screen size) ?

An AIO is not much different.

There aren't a lot of "parts" to fix. Just like a laptop, everything is part of the motherboard.
Dead drive is about it. And that is pretty unlikely.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I am currently visiting them, and trying to sort out as much as possible before flying back home.

The solution we will go ahead with:
  • Bought a new phone with 5 years Android OS updates; they will do as much as they can with their new large phone (which they’re quite comfortable with)
  • Plan to migrate to a brand name NUC-style modular mini PC to plug into a 27” screen or their living room TV
  • Use Windows 11 Home; configure with burner Microsoft Account & one-click icon interface option; explore other OS-level Accessibility options
  • Trial Win11 Quick Assist support and schedule with regular family telephone chats
  • Remotely administer a cloud backup solution
  • Optimise ergos - vertical mouse, backlit full size keyboard
I might build a test Linux box at home as an ‘accessibility’ development proto later - but more out of interest, rather than actual deployment. Currently I suspect that remote support for Linux would be even more work than Windows if something went wrong whilst I’m away.

I like the idea of an onsite support plan, e.g. Dell or HP. Will investigate if this is available with their mini PCs.

Last edited: