System Builder Marathon, Dec. 2009: $2,500 Performance PC

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dark41

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Ah yes, the infamous TG Crossfire Scaling Analysis, which states:

So what’s left? We still haven’t seen how an X58 motherboard with x16/x16/x4 slots compares to today’s x16/x8/x8 sample, whether or not a PCIe hub such as the NF200 can help the P55 to cope with additional cards, or how badly a P55 motherboard in x8/x8 mode can hurt a pair of dual-GPU cards, such as the Radeon HD 5970. We don’t have the parts in place to test all those variables, but will continue to consider your suggestions while we assemble components to put at least some of these questions to rest.

It also doesn't test any P55A boards. Update with current technology and then at least you'll have some figures to support your claims, or prove them wrong.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]dark41[/nom]Ah yes, the infamous TG Crossfire Scaling Analysis, which states:It also doesn't test any P55A boards. Update with current technology and then at least you'll have some figures to support your claims, or prove them wrong.[/citation]

Are you stoned? It has an ENTIRE SECTION COVERING THE PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN X16 AND X8. Everything you have argued has been completely shut down, and furthermore, if you look for the P55A-UD4P article at Tom's Hardware you'll discover that they already had both boards, meaning that the selection of the P55 rather than P55A was was completely intentional.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Look here I just enabled usb 3.0 on a p55-udp4 and tried to run a second 5770 the test machine would not post at first. I removed the second card and voila it posts and has usb 3.0..... Whoo hoo!!!!! Then I disabled usb 3.0 and installed the second card again, posted the machine and proceeded to turn usb 3.0 back on. it posted this time made its way into windows 7 64 ult. There I tried to enable the second card for another monitor and voila no second 5770. HMMMMMMMM! Me thinks I just wasted my time ...... or not. So to verify what crashman has siad.............. The second PCIE X8 slot will not work with usb 3.0 enabled.. I would also be curious to see someone else try this and see their results.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I think he just wants to argue. The system was built with two cards but he thinks the more expensive board should have been used so that "if" the system were to be converted to a single card in the future, the USB 3.0 support would become available.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I get so tired of arguing users. It is ignorance that causes so many problems here. Not to mention wannabe techs that THINK they know something.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]sohei[/nom]amd graphics card? ati is not amd ....on paper maybe,[/citation]

I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I can't think of an AMD processor I'd put in a $2500 system. As for the less-expensive systems, perhaps you should be responding in the threads for those articles?

sohei

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
you are right about the 2500 $ pc
but you see what happens when you don't make the things right?
you create confusion...so i am confused
get my point?

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]xtc28[/nom]Out of curiosity..... Who is the BAby that keeps going around mashing the the thumbs down button.[/citation]

Is the Apple marketing team.

They are attacking all the PC fans sites, flooding us with spam, false reviews, false anything.

They mark any pro apple up, and any pro PC down. It makes search engines to downgrade priority on PC web pages, and return more apple web pages.

JL_COG

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Sometimes a better choice of component(s) might be just outside the budget limit yet be such an obvious benefit that including it would be a better choice. This is how most of us would make building decisions and in my opinion would lend to better guide results. I know if you have to have a cutoff range rater than point it becomes subjective as to how much but still thought it was worth mentioning. JL_COG

JL_COG

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Sometimes a better choice of component(s) might be just outside the budget limit yet be such an obvious benefit that including it would be a better choice. This is how most of us would make building decisions and in my opinion would lend to better guide results. I know if you have to have a cutoff range rater than point it becomes subjective as to how much but still thought it was worth mentioning. JL_COG

blipthemonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
If you had been able to go with the 5970 instead of the 2x5870, would you have used the same case? From the pictures, it doesn't look like there is another inch of clearance to be had..

ulukai

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Tom's please do an Extreme PC build again! It's been a year since the last one, and I'm eager to see what's the max you can do with a high budget.

G

It is absolutely absurd that at the $2500 price point, while limited to air cooling you still can't enter the x58 platform. It is clear that economies of scale has had a detrimental effect on prices, but this is ridiculous...and people wonder why computer gaming is dying.

lehmann

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
this is a good build but a bit short from hitting the hi end mark. using a second rate cpu cooler is the 1st mistake. 2nd that your case selection is nice looking it lacks in cooling efficency a cheap antec 300 or anything with like airflow would have cured some of the heating problems with the gpu's

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]lehmann[/nom]this is a good build but a bit short from hitting the hi end mark. using a second rate cpu cooler is the 1st mistake. 2nd that your case selection is nice looking it lacks in cooling efficency a cheap antec 300 or anything with like airflow would have cured some of the heating problems with the gpu's[/citation]

I doubt the graphics card would have fit, and I'm not even going to honor that comment by looking now because I already looked before spec'ing the system.

docimian

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
80 GB isnt enough to hold all the programs? wtf are you installing? ok 2x 80gb intels at $210 = $420 giving you $180 for some combo of 1.something TB in raid 1. uninstall the crap you arent playing. stop being a pack rat.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]docimian[/nom]80 GB isnt enough to hold all the programs? wtf are you installing? ok 2x 80gb intels at $210 = $420 giving you $180 for some combo of 1.something TB in raid 1. uninstall the crap you arent playing. stop being a pack rat.[/citation]

Right, the BENCHMARK SUITE is around 80 GB, that leaves nothing to be removed. And "real" users typically have a few more programs than the few benchmarks seen here. Be realistic.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]haizi520[/nom]Yes I was thinking just that.... an SSD for the master, and a 1tb or a 2tb for backup slave drive.... then a 5970. That would have been ideal as this is considered high end.....[/citation]Why are you recommending 2011 hardware for a PC built in 2009? Just to raise the Google status on your image hosting site? I have news, the site for your GIF is blocked and I've already reported dozens of post like yours (though less relevant) as spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.