System Builder Marathon, June 2011: $2000 Performance PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I can't believe the marathon started, when Llano desktops are out in a couple days. Why not wait for the Llano parts to arrive so the lower end builds can be something different than a 6850 with an i3-2100

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

It will give slightly better results but most people (for gaming anyways) would not think those small improvements would be worth the extra $100. But then again what could you do with that $100 to make a big diff? You could not add a third card, more RAM would not help that much, they already have SSD's, they dont need a better PSU for this build. If they went with a 2500k and a haf 922 or something like that they would have an extra $140 you still cant add much to this build that would make much in way of performance gains. I guess they could use that to get a 10000 RPM HDD or something like that.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
As much as I appreciate the hard work that was done in the many graphs that I skipped, was there a significant point in this build?

I mean, it's identical to the previous build. Performance differences were not expected. Does a change of optical drive, case, fan and motherboard warrant such an extensive review?

Please weigh the merits of creating a build that's radically different than the previous one. If it's not the right one, people will know that this combination is specifically a bad idea. More purpose served, I guess.

But then, there were not much options, I guess. There's nothing to compete with Sandy Bridge in value and performance, and we haven't seen any new enthusiast class hardware.

C'mon AMD. Let the Bulldozer out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No changes for the sake of change, this builder needs to see an improvement before making a move. Lots of people seek out change without questioning the benefits.

So, people want a nicer case, with a few price drops and a cheaper optical drive that worked fine. It didn't work better, but the "change" they see is that the system looks better. We all like everything we own to look nice...

Really the biggest improvement, Quick Sync encoding capability, wasn't tested. But that doesn't mean we don't want it. Were I still encoding movies for my player, that would be a key selling point.

I personally believe a person shouldn't spend so much on a case.
I wouldn't bother with dual 6970's
One 6950 would be fine with me.
I wouldn't bother with RAID 0 SSD drives. At least until capacities go up.
Since I would be using only 1 video card I could get a cheaper motherboard that doesn't have 2 PCIe slots.
Combine all of that and you would still have a screaming fast PC for hundreds less...

I wish people would understand that not everyone has the same definition of "what looks good". Personally, I think the case chosen is pretty darn ugly, and has no class at all. And they spent more cash on it. I think Apple products are pretty ugly too.

But, some people like that style. That doesn't make me a googly-eyed teenager or whatever was said.

qwerty123456

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Bahahahahahahaha.
You're going to get an enthusiast PC, and top it off with a $30 piece of [cute bunnies] cpu cooler? I mean seriously, that thing just LOOKS pitiful. imagine how it performs.

You're not going to at LEAST get a >$70 cpu cooler?
*facepalm*

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

If you can keep the temps where you need them to be with a $30 cooler why spend more on a cooler? Just so you can brag about having water cooling? The purpose of a cooler is to keep the temp under a required level what ever that may be im sure you know that. So then you should also know that price has nothing to do with it. I have my CPU at 4ghz and dont need to go any farther, it stays below the temps I want it to and I have the stock cooler on it. So am I a newb or stupid or something like that for not getting a $70 cooler or water cooling?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]qwerty123456[/nom]Bahahahahahahaha. You're going to get an enthusiast PC, and top it off with a $30 piece of [cute bunnies] cpu cooler? I mean seriously, that thing just LOOKS pitiful. imagine how it performs.You're not going to at LEAST get a >$70 cpu cooler?*facepalm*[/citation]I don't have to imagine, I tested it. It's about equally pitiful compared to the Corsair Hyper 212+ and costs 40% less.

What would REALLY be pitiful is to add a liquid cooler to a system that's running at these low voltage levels and get no performance benefit. Slightly less pitiful is a system that runs cooler at higher voltages and clocks, but dies after a few months because it's still not cold enough to prevent electromigration.

You're insisting on the chrome-plated valve covers over the painted ones, nobody knows the difference unless you open the hood.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I personally believe a person shouldn't spend so much on a case.I wouldn't bother with dual 6970'sOne 6950 would be fine with me.I wouldn't bother with RAID 0 SSD drives. At least until capacities go up.Since I would be using only 1 video card I could get a cheaper motherboard that doesn't have 2 PCIe slots.Combine all of that and you would still have a screaming fast PC for hundreds less...[/citation]

You do realize that the PC has to be completed as close to the target of $2000 as possible. So removing items to lower it's price defeats the purpose of this exercise.

If this information isn't useful to you, because it doesn't align with your personal budget, I recommend you keep an eye out for the 1000 and 500 builds coming up in a few days.

Also to those lamenting that the i7 is equal to an i5 for gaming, this isn't about building a gaming PC. It's about building an all around great PC for a specific budget. Hence why we had 3 pages of synthetic and encoding benchmarks included.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Somebody please explain why would they get a midtower Lian Li when they can get the HAF X as their total budget is $2000. I know Lian Li is considerd a benchmark in quality but their cases are way overpriced for anybody concerned with value.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Thats what they call the $1000 system builder lol. The point of this article was to make the best possible PC for 2k. So im quite sure you did not bother to read the article at all. Now if you rtrying to say you could make a better performance PC for hundreds less do tell. LMAO :lol:

Also when you say hundreds less what does that mean? Because will all the changes lsted you should be able to make a great system for about $1000. So if your saying you would scrape all that stuff and come in arount $1500-1600 (hundreds less) then you are wasting your money lol.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]Somebody please explain why would they get a midtower Lian Li when they can get the HAF X as their total budget is $2000. I know Lian Li is considerd a benchmark in quality but their cases are way overpriced for anybody concerned with value.[/citation]If it were about price, the Antec Three Hundred would have been selected since it's superior to the HAF X.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]rangband[/nom]Too bad they didn't use a Coolermaster HAF-922 case, it's hands down better layout more professional than the Lian-Li. Or even the HAF-912 as you can remove the extra drive bays so you have a straight shot of air from the front case fan directly to the GPU's. Price is better too, approx $90 for the HAF-922 and $50 for the HAF-912.[/citation]
You and all the others talking about Coolermaster cases are joking right? Those cases are NOT 'professional' looking. They aren't 'clean' or 'sleek', they are closer to 'kiddie' cases. I haven't used one personally, so I can't comment on build quality or cooling, but from a purely aesthetic standpoint you guys are dead wrong.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

The HAF 922 I have was super easy to build in with plenty of room and I have my CPU at 4.0ghz from 3.5 with stock cooling . So I guess aside from possibly looking "kiddieish" They are very good cases, well at least this one I think the 912 is not as open and the X might be over kill.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Also I realy dont see why that case would be $140 seems over priced for what it is. They came in under budget so with that $140 and a little bit more they could have had one of the VERY nice corsair cases that are big have plenty of options and also look nice without being in the kiddie class of cases.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139006

Better case for the money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%2050001459&IsNodeId=1&name=Corsair

and that one is probably still better for basically the same price.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]Also I realy dont see why that case would be $140 seems over priced for what it is. They came in under budget so with that $140 and a little bit more they could have had one of the VERY nice corsair cases that are big have plenty of options and also look nice without being in the kiddie class of cases.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811139006Better case for the money.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] me=Corsairand that one is probably still better for basically the same price.[/citation]
Heheh, first case on the list is the 600T. Used in in a previous SBM, it's junk.

No really, it's a mid-range case dressed up. It didn't perform well and was replaced with the Antec Three Hundred, which of course is a superior case that costs less.

You don't think these things are picked carefully? You don't think stuff like that is eliminated through experience?

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Ill take your word on the corsair cases for sure. But I still dont see why that case is $140. What is in that case that makes it so expensive. We know from the article it didnt come with all the fans so thats not it. They didnt paint the inside at all and it looks like they possibly use good mats on the thing i can give them that but $140 really?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think the case is worth $140. I think it's worth $120 due to the high grade materials and finish. It was picked for cooling path, price, and quality, where no other similarly-priced cases could match it in one of those areas.

I hate paying $40 extra to get a second front fan. The other option would have been a single 180mm fan, but all the options there were either trashy or expensive :(

Antec Three Hundred Illusion would have also done the job nicely for less than half the price.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Well it is hard to "see" build quality in a photo lol. Being that there was money left in the budget, there wasnt a case to be had that was more price appropriate had the whole budget been spent? I have not seen any cases of that brand in person, what was wrong with the corsair cases if you dont mind me asking? I almost purchased ne instead of my HAF case.

You went with 2xSATA 2 SSDs' on a mobo supporting SATA 3? I know price is a consideration, but I got a couple of OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD for $258.00 ($139.99 each w/1x$20 rebate). Read/writes of 525/475 each x 2 in RAID 0. What's up with that?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We've used the Corsair 600T before and the CPU cooling wasn't sufficient. That could be due to width, since a NARROWER case helps the exhaust fan pull heat away from the CPU cooler.

The rest are just too expensive. Besides, who pays $180 for a steel case?

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Same people who pay $140 for the case in the build ? lol thanks for the info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.