System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $2000 Bonus Build

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm building a hybrid in the 1000-2000 builds.
I'm hesitating on the mobo however....ASROCK, ASUS, MSI...
MSI is cheaper by a margin but I'd rather have better than cheaper.
ASUS has EFI and is the pricier. ASROCK seems best all around, is it B3 revised? what you guys think?

nivekmai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
So I got an email saying that I won, is there any way that I can verify this? (It's asking for my SSN and it only allows 2 days to respond).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]nivekmai[/nom]So I got an email saying that I won, is there any way that I can verify this? (It's asking for my SSN and it only allows 2 days to respond).[/citation]Check the address it's going back to, it should be @bestofmedia.com If someone "spoofed" the outgoing email but your response went to bestofmedia.com, it would defeat their evil scheme :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]nivekmai[/nom]So I got an email saying that I won, is there any way that I can verify this? (It's asking for my SSN and it only allows 2 days to respond).[/citation]Do you by any chance know a guy named Garth Brown? He's in your neighborhood...

kovaxo

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Build and spec looks great , But Case kinda small ?! still 41$ left spend it on case :D
Bigger case means good air flow better overclocking ...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]kovaxo[/nom]Build and spec looks great , But Case kinda small ?! still 41$ left spend it on case Bigger case means good air flow better overclocking ...[/citation]Don't fall for the bigger-is-better myth, check out some of the case comparisons to see for yourself that smaller cases often yield lower CPU temperatures.

Best cooling would use an air duct from the CPU cooler to the exhaust fan. Better still if you have an intake duct to the CPU cooler as well. But you can "make" that "duct" by having a graphics card, case side panel, case top panel, and motherboard box tightly around the CPU cooler.

Other parts of the system will be hotter with the smaller case. But if the smaller case increases air velocity around the CPU cooler, the CPU will still be cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.