System Builder Marathon: Performance & Value

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]You mean over nine months? It's easy when AMD hadn't produced any new cores over the same period of time. Phenom II wasn't released until after these systems were built.And you call other people stupid?[/citation]

First of all I called him numb nuts not stupid. Calling people stupid is your job. Second of all the last time I remember you guys using an AMD chip was the March build of 2008 when you used a phenom 9500. Hmmmm March to February would be 11 months but who is counting. You all never tried any of the new phenoms, none of the BE even when their prices dropped to $145.00.

I agree, the original phenom is not that great and that is why I still have my K8. But does that mean you ignore those chips altogether?

Here are some direct quotes from the March 2008 article in reference to the phenom cpu.

"There are a number of reasons that the Phenom can be a good option for a low-cost build: that the Phenom 9500 is the only quad-core CPU under $200 is one of the most important ones. While the $50 or so dollars you save over an OEM Intel quad-core Q6600 might not seem like much, it's an important selling point in the low-cost segment."

"What about the E6750? It's the exact same price as the Phenom 9500, and even though it's only dual-core, it has a higher clock speed and has little to apologize for. Although the E6750 is not a bad choice in this segment by any means, we thought we'd give the Phenom a shot this go-round. Why? Because a cheap quad core CPU is ideal for some tasks, and should even soundly beat the E6750 in specific multithreaded applications. Since our low-cost build isn't designed for any specific task, we thought it would be interesting to demonstrate how the Phenom might shine in certain scenarios, for instance as a rendering workstation. Finally, we're waiting for the Penryn-based E8000 series to arrive before we invest in another Core-2 Duo."

"In addition, opting for a Phenom gives us the attractive option of pairing it with AMD's impressive 780G chipset for a very cost effective platform that is both energy efficient, and can offer basic gaming/workstation performance without the addition of a discrete graphics card."

"On the downside, we're quite aware that the Phenom is not going to overclock well, and the simple fact is that if you're an overclocker you'd be much better served with one of Intel's Core 2 based offerings. However, many system builders just like to run their hardware at stock settings and the Phenom might be ideal for these folks."

And now for the conclusion.

"Without other systems to compare it to, the only reasonable conclusions we can arrive at regarding our low-cost build is that the price is great, it's stable, and it's a capable gaming machine even at the high 1920x1200 resolution."

"The system is certainly no slouch, and is pleasant to work with. The questions that remain are: How will it stack up, dollar for dollar, vs. the mid-range and high-end builds? And how much will performance
improve when the system is overclocked?"

"Traditionally, the low-cost system has always beaten the other systems in the performance-per-dollar analysis. This is because paying 200 or 300% more money for hardware will almost never equate to a 200 or 300% increase in performance. On Friday, we'll add another view of performance-per-dollar that focuses on the potential benefits of higher cost systems for gaming at higher resolutions."

"Mid-priced systems can suit buyers who want acceptable performance in every application including games. But while the sub-$1000 system didn't quite make the grade in some games, those who really can't afford anything better will make whatever sacrifices in graphics quality they must in order to justify their purchase."

"Our machines were intended to serve as examples of balanced machines for various price brackets, but your particular needs should govern any purchasing decision."

The End

v12v12

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Guess you didn't get the gist of what "socket-locked" means? Yes AT THE TIME of release the build was "pretty good," but in reality and considering the FUTURE = Socket-locked into proven slower technological platform = aka poor speculation and impulse shopping = aka stupidity and stubborness.

AMD is slower, fact. Worth investing in... Would YOU invest your money into a market where it's very likely you'll lose even more money and your returns are par or usually sub-par Vs Blue-Chip Intel? NO YOU NOT. On paper it makes little to no sense to invest money in AMD builds... for review purposes, a couple here and there, but for the CONSUMER, whom this site panders exclusively toward — it makes no sense. Deny all you want. I guess the earth is flat and the sun revolves around the earth, from you point of view?

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
v12v12 you know what I am not even going to waste my time with you. It is quite obvious to me that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

v12v12

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
[citation][nom]caamsa[/nom]v12v12 you know what I am not even going to waste my time with you. It is quite obvious to me that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.[/citation]

No, please do waste more time arguing that this site should review loss-leader, slower performance hardware, so that a few die-hards can wave their flags in false victory, while subtly snubbing their noses at everyone thinking "TOLD YA SO..." when in REALITY the facts (again wtf don't you get about the meaning of FACT/ABSOLUTE?) state clear that AMD is the loss-leader. Argue all you want, deny, or whatever — I don't care. But if you really want to play games, post your links and so-called evidence and I'll post mine and further embarrass you.

Hell this site right here has all the info I need to trump any so-called futile attempt to AMD flag wave. Keep your mouth closed and silently hope/pray that AMD makes a come back fast. We all are, b/c it BENEFITS ALL of us, but denying the current truths upon which they stand = lunacy.

jimbo15

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I'm a family man with two young ones at home. so i got to keep price in mind, I need a new computer but getting confused with all the different kinds. i need just the tower(moniter n keyboard r good to go) how much better is lets say a 5 or 6 hundred$ build(witch i am somewhat interested in, i am mechanically inclined) campared to a dell or hp out of the box? is a buget gaming pc necessarily good to handle multitasking, downloading music n movies, running my email and aim burning or watching a movie or music n whatever else. any insight would be helpful thanks.

jimbo15

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
so how would that 625 - the 125 bringing it to $500 compare to this i saw online as far as speed and not bigging down while miltitasking???w/ XP Pro, 4GB, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 19-in-1 MCR, Int x3100

Product Specifications
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Business (Includes Downgrade rights to Microsoft Windows XP Professional)
Processor Intel® Core(tm) 2 Duo Processor E7300
Processor Speed 2.66GHz
Level 2 Cache 3MB Level 2 Cache
Data Bus Speed 1066MHz Frontside Bus
RAM Installed / Max RAM Supported 4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Hard Drive 500GB Hard Drive
Multimedia Drive DVDRW Drive
Display Type Display Not Included
Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Video Chipset
Sound Card High Definition Audio Chipset
Sound Output Mode 7.1 Channel Stereo Surround Sound
Network Features 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network
Memory Card Reader 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
Expansion Bays 2 (1 free) External 5.25" Bays; 1 (0 free) External 3.5" Bay; 2 (1 free) Internal 3.5" Bays
Expansion Slots (1) PCIe x16 Slot; (1) PCIe x1 Slot; (2) PCI Slots
Included Software Microsoft® Works, McAfee SecurityCenter 30-Day Trial, Roxio Creator 10 Dell Edition
Manufacturer Warranty 1 Year Limited Warranty

v12v12

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
You get a Dell and "brand name" machines if you don't know what you're doing>.< They are for people that just need it to run with a warranty and that's it... Custom built machines will far outlast a "Brand name" machine if you practice proper maintenance on them. I've been building machines for a long time, I work with "brand name" machines everyday, and they are constantly failing. Usually the motherboard or the PSU will be the 1st to go, as "brand name" manufacturers motherboards are shoddy and cheap as they can build them.

If you have a pretty good grasp of mechanics and how to install an operating system, then you should be good. The key is learning how to install the OS properly, maintaining the OS (Ghost backup software is essential! It will save you HOURS of frustration and reinstalling) and learning how to install software. Lastly avoiding virus/trojan tricks. Those skills will take you as far as you need, until you need to learn more...

I would scour the overclocker forums here and there and see what builds people are recommending and base your build/budget around that. Ignore all the Overclock jargon about ram timings and the like.

In reality a $400-600 machine will do all that you need atm. Esp for your kids etc... Good luck.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]v12v12[/nom]You get a Dell and "brand name" machines if you don't know what you're doing>.< They are for people that just need it to run with a warranty and that's it... Custom built machines will far outlast a "Brand name" machine if you practice proper maintenance on them.

And you have evidence of this? Please post a page of your statistics that prove this if not then shut you mouth.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]v12v12[/nom]No, please do waste more time arguing that this site should review loss-leader, slower performance hardware, so that a few die-hards can wave their flags in false victory, while subtly snubbing their noses at everyone thinking "TOLD YA SO..." when in REALITY the facts (again wtf don't you get about the meaning of FACT/ABSOLUTE?) state clear that AMD is the loss-leader. Argue all you want, deny, or whatever — I don't care. But if you really want to play games, post your links and so-called evidence and I'll post mine and further embarrass you.Hell this site right here has all the info I need to trump any so-called futile attempt to AMD flag wave. Keep your mouth closed and silently hope/pray that AMD makes a come back fast. We all are, b/c it BENEFITS ALL of us, but denying the current truths upon which they stand = lunacy.[/citation]

What system of yours is going to best mine? your AMD laptop or you Apple.......LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.