System Builder Marathon: Performance & Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

namelessted

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
So is there not going to be a high end build somewhere around $2000? Because I am looking forward to that one as usual.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]NamelessTed[/nom]So is there not going to be a high end build somewhere around $2000? Because I am looking forward to that one as usual.[/citation]

It was explained in the Day 1 article but should have been mentioned at the lead of this one, that Core i7 wasn't ready when the site placed its order. And to build a high-end Core 2 machine after Core i7 was available was not a viable option. Since the site couldn't get a retail Core i7 on time, the high-end build was scrapped.

namelessted

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
@Crashman, that makes sense, I guess i missed that in the Day 1 article. Man, I really wish I could have seen the comparison with the Core i7 and 6GB of DDR3 RAM. I guess I will have to wait until next month.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Surprisingly, there was a 1:1 relationship between performance and price when comparing last months $500 build and this months $625 build. You got about a 25% performance boost with an increase in cost by 25%.

Thanks for the write-up. I look forward to seeing both a AMD and Intel build for the lowest price point builds in the upcoming months hopefully :)

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i think the pentium dual core and athlon x2 systems are quite the lowest price points...anything lower will be single core systems.
i should have got the pentium dual core for the same price of an amd.
i was focusing too much on core2duos and thought they were too expensive compared to athlon x2's.
my x2 5000 runs at 3.1 GHz compared to pentium dual cores running at 4.2GHz with 2MB of L2 cache, 1MB more than the x2.
ultimately, pentium dual cores are core2duo's with less cache. :)

Teruo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Sorry to bring up the highend system again, but I really do what to see Quadcore Q9300 to be OC because I'm planning to get a Q9300 budget around $1400. Would the setting of the $1250 replace with Q9300 would have a good increase in gaming performance or they will be similar which is not worth the CPU upgrade?

This whole series made a lot more sense than those from past months. Nothing in any of the builds was hopelessly out of balance or an unlikely choice for people actually building a system.

G

I would really like to see a higher end build that consistently exceeds the "value" of the $500 system. The $625 build came close, but is it possible to get a higher percentage gain in performance than you spend for parts?

micles5

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
i want to see $625 pc benchmarks with 4870 graphic card. i think there is no point to spend twice more when you can spend $50 more and get 25 percent more performance. My Pc 6320 2.8 ghz, 6gb, 4870 oc to 790 gpu 1100 ram. everything max on 1920x1080. people think please.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]micles5[/nom]My Pc 6320 2.8 ghz, 6gb, 4870 oc to 790 gpu 1100 ram. everything max on 1920x1080. people think please.[/citation]

'everything' but Crysis, right? ;)

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]habib2005[/nom]Where is AMD ?I wish to see intel vs amd in price and performance comparisons .[/citation]

Unfortunately, AMD can't touch Intel when it comes to overclocking, and that's a big part of the System Builder Marathons.

We'll see what the Phenom IIs bring to the table, tho. I'd love to see AMD supply a good price/performing overclocker again.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
It wi be extremely interesting to see how much "bang for the buck' a Core i7 system will have.

this stupid text field glitch. Is it going to be fixed?

cobra420

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
ok a text glitch . that explanes it . if the $650 build is considerd entry level gaming pc , then you wont worry about overclocking much . you will try it but it wont be a major factor in your build .
a good cpu , ram , video will be top on the list .

micles5

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
everything i mean everything cod, far cry 2, fallout 3. really everything max (far cry physic med and aa 4x in fallout). i just got not 50 just 40-45 fps. no difference for me. Crysis is a not a game. what for doing a game when you can not play after 2 years after realise on average comp. its just a benchmark. i know when i spend $1500 i can play but is wroth it? no !!! that why is think!!!!!!!!!

micles5

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
everything i mean everything cod, far cry 2, fallout 3. really everything max (far cry physic med and aa 4x in fallout). i just got not 50 just 40-45 fps. no difference for me. Crysis is a not a game. what for doing a game when you can not play after 2 years after realise on average comp. its just a benchmark. i know when i spend $1500 i can play but is wroth it? no !!! that why is think!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.