System Builder Marathon Q2 2015: $1600 Mini Performance PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm just fighting for your right to party. No need to take this on all by yourself, any more.

daveys93

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
"High-resolution performance might have been better still had that machine contained a pair of R9 290X cards rather than a pair of GTX 270s."

Typo? I think you mean 970s.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Again you sacrifice cooling performance to pick up an optical drive. Are you being paid off by big optic...oil?

Admit it, you just chose that motherboard because it lets you plug this bad boy in:
IBM_PS2_hiiri.jpg

Nythious

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
It's about time people start realizing that smaller cases restrict the impact of ambient temperatures because the total air volume is recycled faster than larger cases.

BAM! Outstanding. Once again, the tiny board is fit for purpose.
I'm not even going to ding the PSU; I've read the review.
I'm actually rather impressed by that case. I just ordered a Rosewill Neutron for a mITX machine, but that one looks reasonable. How sturdy is it? Does it feel durable, especially if you're in and out of it a lot?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i will be looking into building a mini machine in the near future and am VERY pleased to see that i can still put some high end parts into such a small build and it'll work nicely. or you could just pick me as the winner for this little beast and save me the trouble *wink* *wink*

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It was supposed to read that the steel frame is supported by the aluminum shell. The aluminum parts are pretty solid :)

Firion87

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Great components Tom's! But I own the Raijintek Metis (same case) and without serious modifications I can't see those temperatures to be real. First off I'm using a i5 4460 with a gtx 960 Strix (way less power usage). Using a fully modular psu with custom cables make a lot of space inside this case. Second: this case goes either with a SFX PSU or you need to modify the PSU support to drop it lower if you want to use a full size GPU. Lastly I recomand using a MB with m-sata or other port to get a SSD inside, and a 2,5"hdd on the bottom so you can remove the upper HDD cage, getting more fresh air into that case. Another idea is to contact the manufacturer to punch bigger holes in the side of the case to mount an extra 12mm fan on the side or on the top of the case and it would be perfect!

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

If you read a little closer you'll see that he used a GPU with the reference cooler on it (a.k.a. blower style) because in such a small case, blowing the majority of the heat from the GPU straight out the back of the case makes a big difference in the heat buildup inside the case. You mentioned you are using a STRIX which is a great cooler, but with the fans blowing the heat into such a small case, you'll have a hard time keeping everything cool. Check your systin. I'll bet it's pretty high.

Firion87

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
atheus, I've seen that he used the stock cooled GPU. My components are not overheating at all (I'm having pc parts a lot weaker than those in the test). The point I wanted to get is that most readers consider this case crammed which doesn't have to be the case if you choose wisely the components (imposible within the giving budget but to save the reputation of this tiny case).

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Best build article I've read in a while.

Love the switch to the small form factor. With so many people moving their pc's from the desk to the living room, I think we're going to see a lot more preference for this. Not to mention, most people don't use the majority of expansion slots available to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.