System Builder Marathon, Q4 2012: $1,000 Enthusiast PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]A few points ;1. Most of the rendering software are FP heavy, disadvantaging the AMD from the start. Maybe add some other render software that are more integer heavy ? 2. The files you use in winzip17 OpenCL test are probably < 8MB in size. Hence winzip doesnt send them to GPU for compression. A better selection of files should be used in which some are >8mb in size and a few are 50MB or greater. Otherwise, the OpenCL test is meaningless.[/citation]

Point 1 - Most rendering does tend to be FPU intensive, in fact any rendering software that didn't exploit any available FPU would just be a joke. The fact that there IS FPU capability means it's going to get used and shows a serious failing in the AMD architecture. In your world you'd obviously rather not have FPU at all, or what point are you trying to make?

Point 2 - I don't think anyone really cares much about OpenCL as this isn't the main focus of this comparison. We already know what the GPU's are/aren't capapble of and can work that bit out for ourselves.

Since you said "a few points" but only mentioned 'a couple' I'll add the third for you. Picking around for benchmarks which provide a favourable outlook for the AMD fanboi's does not provide an objective comparison. Firstly you need to maintain your previous tests for the sake of comparison, and secondly you can pick whatever tests you want but if what you choose doesn't reflect the type of use by the bulk of users then your niche tests produce meaningless results - so please, take heed of the point the reviewer is trying to make rather than suggesting non-objective comparisons.

[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]There are no obvious shortcomings in the AMD arch. There are some bottlenecks, which would have been cured by Steamroller.[/citation]

Steamroller probably won't "cure" the L2 and L3 cache bottle-neck. It should help greatly, but it won't fix everything according to current information.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I truly miss the days when I could read about an AMD based system in these competitions, and it not get trashed every which way to Sunday and back. Hopefully they can hunker down and surprise us all with the next revisions for their CPUs. Im not expecting miracles, just hoping for the best.

G

[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]There are no obvious shortcomings in the AMD arch. There are some bottlenecks, which would have been cured by Steamroller.[/citation]

Oh wait, you're talking about a platform that doesn't exist (yet)?

If we all waited for AMD's promises (which from past experience never seem to materialise) we wouldn't have anythig to compare and none of their stuff would get tested in this type of review.

Please shut up and stick with the here and now rather than speculation. There are shortcomings or did you not read any of this test? Or indeed any other test which Toms has done to date in an attempt to justify AMD's marketing budget.

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]http://valid.canardpc.com/2604796[/citation]
... what all this thumbs down all about? Just showed, what i did with OC of FX-8350... voltages on auto and stable...

americanbrian

Distinguished
Those temps are way out... they REALLY chose a bad cooler and I don't think it is fair to push that onto AMD.

The specification on AMD's own webpage states that the MAX TEMP is 61C see link:

http://products.amd.com/en-gb/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=770&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

Tom's has never chosen such a crappy cooler in a $1000 build EVER. I am suspicious. What about a hyper 212 for only $10 more? Don't even try to say budget, because you spent an extra $48 on the previous build as you state yourself.

What thermal compound was used? MX-4 or whatever came pre-applied?

They never gave AMD a chance. Hamstrung from the get go.

americanbrian

Distinguished
[citation][nom]pchisholm[/nom]A nicely written article illustrating a bad plan which was poorly executed. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to see an AMD comparison do itself some justice against an Intel platform, even though most people knew already in their heart of hearts that it wouldn't win. But what we have here is an attempt to play lipservice to AMD and nothing more. There definately could have been a much better choice of components however I would have to suggest that it would have still been futile. Slam the reviewer for that if you want, but when you're starting off knowing you're at a disadvantage it isn't always clear which components are going to be a better fit for your project. What this perhaps illustrates that a lot of people still haven't worked out the best way to exploit the poorly conceived AMD architecture.[/citation]

Or what you mean is that this site has become SO pro intel that they can't even put together an AMD system when they try...

finally, an amd cpu in an sbm build.:) enjoyed the article.
imo it gave a good idea on "what if" the cpu+mobo were swapped out keeping the rest of the build more or less indentical. showed why one needs very good(read: costly) cooling to overclock pd cpus. this is why cooler cost is an important factor in budget..

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
This isn't a horrible build, but the cpu cooler is junk.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Xigmatek-Loki-CPU-Cooler-Review/1403/6

found near the bottom of the pile. I wonder if the stock AMD copper heatsink wouldn't have been better. the 8150 was capable of hitting 4.4 ghz on the stock cooler, this pile of junk only allowed 4.3 on the 8350? lol Definately $24 thrown away.

p.s., the august pc had a better gpu overclock, hard to get an exact comparison that way.

americanbrian

Distinguished
[citation][nom]De5_roy[/nom]finally, an amd cpu in an sbm build. enjoyed the article.imo it gave a good idea on "what if" the cpu+mobo were swapped out keeping the rest of the build more or less indentical. showed why one needs very good(read: costly) cooling to overclock pd cpus. this is why cooler cost is an important factor in budget..[/citation]

You mistakenly said "very good(read: costly)", when what you meant was "adequate(read: affordable)" or "not a cheap piece of s.h.i.t.(read: reviewer has a clue)"

abbadon_34

Distinguished
uuuhhhh why spend $350 a 670 when you could get a 7950 for less or 7970 the same price and greatly out performs and overclocks better, not to mention uncrippled OpenCL performance?

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I have that case.
One thing I will say about it is, there is almost zero cable management options with it. Behind the motherboard tray, there is almost no room to speak of, so you are stuck with scratching your head on where to put all the cables (pretty much behind the drive uprights is about it).

Here was my best effort to make it neat in there. I populated all the fan locations (5) with 120mm GELID PWM fans running off the MB.(T1090BE x6, Crosshair IV, HD6950, Silverstone 750w,xigmatek gaia)
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr274/KT_Wasp/New%20Build/P1010008.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the side cover on.
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr274/KT_Wasp/New%20Build/0402111256.jpg

just figured I would show that for those interested in the case.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
You should add Hitman Absolution to your benchmarks. So far it is the only GAME that takes advantage of a 6-core 12-thread Sandy Bridge-E . This is quite an achivement and great direction to be heading in.

that was not a mistake. :) i saw that the cpus are usually pushed to their max. oc (whenever possible) in the sbm builds. that's why i said that very good(costlier than loki of hyper 212+/evo) coolers like corsair h80/100 or noctua nh d14 or the fx closed loop liquid cooler (that amd bundles with some fx cpus) would be needed for overclocking piledriver fx cpus. i wondered that if the xig. loki can run an oc ivy bridge (people say these are worse oc'ers for their heat problems in high oc), it can run an fx that has much bigger die area and possibly uncompromised t.i.m. under the heatspreader (unlike ivb cpus).

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Something doesn't seem right about this overclock. I'm running an 8320 @ 4.3ghz (200x23) on a crappy $20 Coolermaster Air @ 1.4v. Maybe I got lucky, or Tom's got a bad chip, but something is wrong.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
If it was strictly built for gaming I would have dumped the SSD & spent more on a better cooler, maybe even a different mobo since the SSD isn't going to affect the gaming to any large extent, or at all when the games are installed on the HDD anyways.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]serhat359[/nom]Could have used a 6 or 4-core FX and made more money for a better cpu cooler and case. You have already demonstrated that more than 4 cores aren't used in gaming and here you have an 8 core CPU...[/citation]

Where did we say this is a gaming build?

Our SBM builds have always been all-rounders. Apps, games, and overclocking.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]pchisholm[/nom] But what we have here is an attempt to play lipservice to AMD and nothing more. There definately could have been a much better choice of components however I would have to suggest that it would have still been futile. [/citation]

Lipservice? I totally disagree.

Are you suggesting that different components paired with the 8350 would have changed the results?

The cooler maybe? Yeah, but like I said, power usage would have been even worse...

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Sakkura[/nom]A $70 Corsair CX600 is a waste of money here.[/citation]

Dude, the system pulled almost 500W under load.

I would not pair it with a 550 W PSU. Maybe I'm old school but there should be more of a margin than 50 W.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]americanbrian[/nom]Tom's has never chosen such a crappy cooler in a $1000 build EVER. I am suspicious. [/citation]

Whaaaa? Did you even read the article? We've used the Loki LOTS of times. It's a great budget cooler. We used it LAST time.

[citation][nom]americanbrian[/nom]They never gave AMD a chance. Hamstrung from the get go.[/citation]

Scratch that. It's clear that you DIDN'T read the article.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]uuuhhhh why spend $350 a 670 when you could get a 7950 for less or 7970 the same price and greatly out performs and overclocks better, not to mention uncrippled OpenCL performance?[/citation]

You need to read the article before posing questions.

The answer's in there plain as day. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS