System Builder Marathon, Sept. '09: $2,500 Performance PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fudgeboy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]masterjaw[/nom]"Happy birthday", "Happy Halloween", "Merry Christmas", and "Happy New Year" to the lucky one who would get his hands on this one.[/citation]

more like happy heart attack. seriously if i won this thing i'd be shitting bricks for the next month!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]If I had the system I'd hock one of the vid cards for a decent RAID controler.[/citation]

You wouldn't have to. Remember that the bottom slot supports x8 mode.

jerryt74332

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I just compared game benchmarks with this system and the 5870 review. This system runs almost same framerates as the i7@4.0GHZ with the 2x 5870 in crossfire. That is pretty impressive.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]RAID 1 adds neither capacity nor performance. [/citation]
Not really true. Some raid controllers utilize both/all drives for read operations instead of just one. Yielding read speeds close to a striped raid set. I'm not aware of any software controllers doing so, but there's not really any technical restriciton to doing it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Not really true. Some raid controllers utilize both/all drives for read operations instead of just one. Yielding read speeds close to a striped raid set. I'm not aware of any software controllers doing so, but there's not really any technical restriciton to doing it.[/citation]

That's the difference between theory and practice. Rather than comment on theory, the editor considered only the wide range of Tom's Hardware RAID controller reviews.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]That's the difference between theory and practice. Rather than comment on theory, the editor considered only the wide range of Tom's Hardware RAID controller reviews.[/citation]
Regardles of what a reviewer chooses, claiming that raid 1 doesn't provide performance is incorrect. Most of the time it won't show any performance increase, but that's dependant on the controller, not on the raid 1 marketing term. I've got a 16 drive eonstor system 4 meters away, which supports improved read speed on raid 1 setups. Though we admittedly utilize a raid with parity and spares instead, the feature does exist in practice.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
By the way, can't help but to wonder what'd happen with this system if the cooling system'd been used on the graphics instead of on the cpu - I know it would've been too expensive as the waterblocks don't come free of charge, but can't help but wonder anyway.

proro1974

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
[citation][nom]ElectroGoofy[/nom]With a budget of $2,500 you would have thought they would have gone for the best.... an i7.[/citation]
another non-reader.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
With a budget of $2,500 you would have thought they would have gone for the best.... an i7.

Was looking forward to seeing what kind of i7 based computer they could put together for $2,500, but I guess they went with and AMD :sarcastic:

But yea, I am happy for the AMD fanboys, there haven't been many AMD based computers lately :)

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Very nice system, although the assembly was a little complex, but nothing an enthusiast can't handle.
When I started to read this article I thought amd won't suit such a high-end system, but seeing how the extra cash was diverted to a powerful GFX setup and storage and the gaming results it achieved, I changed my mind.

Awesome build, I wish I had money to spare like that.
I can't even dish out $350 for upgrades.

I'm surprised it's an AMD system. (Although I do feel that the core i7 processors and motherboards are overpriced.)

RAID 0 Solid State!! OMG!
8GB of RAM!!
4890 X3!! WOW!!
I would do anything to win a pc like this!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]What about previous overclocked version vs new overclocked version?Isn't the benchmark sort of skewed?[/citation]
There's a comparison article on the way comparing the builds, and I assume where applicable it'll include the last builds as well.

@ dark_lord69 : 8GB memory is quite affordable, and if you already have 2x2gb (I would assume any build from mid-end 2006 and now has that), it's very simple to upgrade. You may want to wait till october and get a win 7 64bit to go with it though - and then it's not so cheap anymore.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Since the rational in the conclusion to spend this much is to enhance the gaming experience, here's a suggestion for next quarter. Build a system around Nvidia's 3D glasses. Include a monitor or HD TV in the cost since it needs the 120mhz refresh rate, and see what you can come up with. I think the debate is over for mainstream water vs big air, save the money and stick with the air.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008

LOL, thank you for pointing out my typo. Soon, your monitor will have windows 3.11 installed on it!

The principal behind needing 120hz is each eye has to see 60hz so it doesn't recognize a difference from a regular monitor. The glasses will close tiny shutters on one eye for 1 hz while the other eye sees the screen. Then the lens switch for 1 hz and the screen shows a slightly different picture so the brain will precieve depth. It does this back and forth, the brain never realizes the 1hz blackout for each eye, and your gaming experience is enhanced. Haven't done any research in a while, so I don't know if faster refresh rates effect performance or not.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

I know how they work. I see very poorly on one eye, and found out those kinds of hardware didn't work for me (back in 96 when matrox introduced similar ones), so I ofc tried to understand why.

In any event - I've actually got 3.11 in a vmware mashine on this pc, so it's already there :)

[citation][nom]dirtmountain[/nom]The Corsair CMPSU-850HX is rated Silver, not Gold. Nice build, good results, great work.[/citation]
[citation][nom]dirtmountain[/nom]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139011Newegg says differently. I did check sources.[/citation]

Why are you people giving this guy thumbs down? He's spotted an error and is apparently right.

http://www.corsair.com/products/hx850/default.aspx

Corsair claims it is Silver. They made it, they are the ones who have to stand behind their claims. So I'd be most inclined to go by their information.

Status
Not open for further replies.