System Builder Marathon, Sept. 2010: $2000 Performance PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Love the case choice everything else is pretty much can't really hate it or love it, but i mean you can't really hate any of the parts when they cost that much as they are all good but some just not right for some jobs.
I do not care for AMD and SLI just because you'll be using an nvidia chipset and my past experiences with them have been poor.
I also do not care for 6 cores for games although i mostly use my computer for other things which may like those 6 cores, but i don't find too many uses for 2 480's outside of gaming.

Hopefully the next one will be one i can't help but agree with, A i5-750/760 with 2 460's in sli :D

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
The lesson here? AMD hexacores are still the best value on the market, but is still unable to keep up with the i7 in overall performance clock for clock. It's sadly not the best choice in high end systems, but it still wont stop me from recomending it to friends interested in sub-$1000 systems.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
With Sandybridge and Bulldozer just right around the corner I don't think that it makes any sense to build right now with current (especially CPU + motherboard)components.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]With Sandybridge and Bulldozer just right around the corner I don't think that it makes any sense to build right now with current (especially CPU + motherboard)components.[/citation]
Maybe not...this system was built a couple months ago.

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Love the honesty. I think this is just shows that a MUCH cheaper AMD chip ($700 less) is close but not quite in true competition with the top of the line Intel chip. I'll stick to my AMD chips because I am not made of money.

Again, I love the honesty and straight talk TH brings with these bi-monthly features that give system builders a real idea about performance and cost-effective parts.

aaron92

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I really do value the AMD Hex vs Intel, 6 cores is already cutting edge and 12 threads is going beyond a desktop computer for this year atleast.

rutoojinn

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
If you looked at Tom's best CPU for the money every month. The tier list at the end of the articles shows what tier the AMD x6 is at. Basically an i5 750 or 760 cpu is ranked higher than the Phoenom II x6 cpu. They are basically the same price around $200. So around that price range it just depends which brand you would go for. I prefer the i5 and this months set up I appreciate what Tom tried to do.

[citation][nom]sassan_88[/nom]I dont like systems Based on AMD's chipset[/citation]
As opposed to Nvidia's chipset of which many in the past few years are well known for their overheating and failing? I've had an 8200m fail on me completely. My friend had his 6150 in his notebook overheat so badly his battery was at less than max capacity within a year (from heat exposure).
The only good ones have been the 6100 and the 7xxx series.

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
well, all the adds i see for the amd six cores read "our six or their four?". I think a 1055 should be tested against a Hyperthreaded quad, and a non hyperthreaded quad. that would be an interesting test

Judguh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]8 GB of RAM is still excessive...[/citation]
I would actually like to see a small article on RAM usage on a PC during various uses and scenarios and to show where more RAM or faster RAM would be more beneficial.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Just plain stupid choice of components, don't blame AMD.Why didn't you choose single Radeon 5970 and 1090T,even with 8 gigs of RAM.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Folks,
Please bear in mind that the choices for these System Builder Marathon systems are often the product of reader feedback. We do three or four Intel-based builds in a row and everyone starts asking why we're not giving AMD a chance to shine. This quarter, Thomas wanted to address those comments.
The next two builds will come over the next two days--that's why we call it a marathon ;)
Thanks all!
Chris

jgv115

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]They are only showing the $2000 computer? What about the $500 and $1000 one?[/citation]
They will do it in the coming days. 1 each day.

Just a suggestion, perhaps in the charts put which CPU each PC has. I don't know if it's just me but I keep having to think which month is which CPU xD

Prob just me :)

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]avatar_raq[/nom]Lesson learned: Don't go with AMD if you are building a high end system![/citation]
That was a $200 AMD processor. Should we drop a $200 intel processor in it's place and see how it compares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS