System Builder Marathon: TH's $2000 Hand-Picked Build

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamplighter

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I bought this rig on newegg. For the life of me I can't get the mushkin RAM to report all 6GB's with this Gigabyte mobo using standard BIOS settings (e.g. I have not tweaked or even attempted overclocking. When I did attempt using the settings in this article, the box refused to boot). I have RMA'd both the mobo and RAM, still the same problem. I went to Fry's bought some "Patriot" memory 3x2GB DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333MHz). Now 9 out of 10 times the mobo boots correctly seeing all 6GB's, the other 1/10th of a time the mobo reports 4GB at POST, and right after "Verifying DMI pool...", POST reports DRAM size mismatch and reboots immediately. This behavior occurs constantly with the mushkin RAM, and apparently the only way around it is to enter BIOS and quit without saving, then at least the box boots with 4GB detected.

BTW, once booted the system runs well, either with all 6GBs detected or 4GB. Win7 always sees 6.00GB installed(4.00 GB usable) with mushkin. I ran a stress test tool, name escapes me (probably found reference to it here on Tom's), system ran smooth at around 45C.

At this point I'm not even interested in overclocking it, I just would like to see the box boot with 6GB.

Am I asking for too much? Is this expected? I appreciate any advice.

syrold

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I used the same motherboard and processor, but instead i have 2x 5830 in crossfire, ripjaws 1600 mhz memory 6gb, caviar black 1tb 6gb/s, dark fleet 85(df-85), cooler master 1000w silent pro. And, this build is only $41 cheaper than my build..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]lamplighter[/nom]I bought this rig on newegg. For the life of me I can't get the mushkin RAM to report all 6GB's with this Gigabyte mobo using standard BIOS settings (e.g. I have not tweaked or even attempted overclocking. When I did attempt using the settings in this article, the box refused to boot). I have RMA'd both the mobo and RAM, still the same problem. I went to Fry's bought some "Patriot" memory 3x2GB DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333MHz). Now 9 out of 10 times the mobo boots correctly seeing all 6GB's, the other 1/10th of a time the mobo reports 4GB at POST, and right after "Verifying DMI pool...", POST reports DRAM size mismatch and reboots immediately. This behavior occurs constantly with the mushkin RAM, and apparently the only way around it is to enter BIOS and quit without saving, then at least the box boots with 4GB detected.BTW, once booted the system runs well, either with all 6GBs detected or 4GB. Win7 always sees 6.00GB installed(4.00 GB usable) with mushkin. I ran a stress test tool, name escapes me (probably found reference to it here on Tom's), system ran smooth at around 45C.At this point I'm not even interested in overclocking it, I just would like to see the box boot with 6GB.Am I asking for too much? Is this expected? I appreciate any advice.[/citation]
Did you put the memory in the WHITE slots? That's where it belongs, and putting the memory in the blue slots is the most likely cause for your issues.

lamplighter

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Did you put the memory in the WHITE slots? That's where it belongs, and putting the memory in the blue slots is the most likely cause for your issues.

Yes, I inserted the RAM in the WHITE slots 1, 3 and 5 - that's the beauty of following along a SBM article with photos :). It seems I can get the 6GB to register more often than not if upon boot 4GB POSTs, I enter BIOS, and quit without saving.

I think it's time I look closely at the CPU for bent pins as suggested on the forums. Perhaps I over tightened the heatsink? I'm not sure how I could, but it's been suggested that this is a likely cause.

It's strange that one type of RAM (Patriot) really doesn't have a problem with properly registering all 6GB, whereas another (Mushkin) does. I admit I've been out of the PC building business for about 6 years, so maybe this is the state of things?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]lamplighter[/nom]Yes, I inserted the RAM in the WHITE slots 1, 3 and 5 - that's the beauty of following along a SBM article with photos . It seems I can get the 6GB to register more often than not if upon boot 4GB POSTs, I enter BIOS, and quit without saving.I think it's time I look closely at the CPU for bent pins as suggested on the forums. Perhaps I over tightened the heatsink? I'm not sure how I could, but it's been suggested that this is a likely cause. It's strange that one type of RAM (Patriot) really doesn't have a problem with properly registering all 6GB, whereas another (Mushkin) does. I admit I've been out of the PC building business for about 6 years, so maybe this is the state of things?[/citation]Nah, bent pins, weak pins, and dirty contacts are frequent issues with these builds. Having said that, I personally don't have those issues with a couple exceptions:
1.) Shuttle sent a system with the heat sink installed over the CPU cover. The corners of the CPU cover were smashed down by the heatsink, bending the pins
2.) I did an illustration for condensation damage and now have a CPU with half of a contact pad burned off. It's a memory contact, so getting it to work in some boards is problematic.

My friend on the other hand has pin issues all the time, and we're both builders, so maybe it's luck if the draw?

R6ex

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]should have just gone with a i7 920 and stuck a 5970 which would have been cheaper[/citation]
Not if you want PhysX.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]quote[/nom]Although we wanted to respond to reader requests for a six-core CPU, we certainly didn’t want to spend nearly half of our budget on it.[/citation] I'm sorry? I don't think your budget was $400.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]blackjellognomes[/nom]I'm sorry? I don't think your budget was $400.[/citation]Did you read the next sentence? It refers to the other article. Did you read the other article, where it says AMD was chosen because Intel costs nearly half the budget?

Are you seriously confused, or pulling a political stunt? November 2 is long past, and AMD isn't running for Congress!

Status
Not open for further replies.