[SOLVED] System constantly shutting off after boot.

Dec 2, 2018
My PC crashes after I boot it, after a variable amount of time.
It's worked just fine for 2-3 years now, and the problem started a few months ago.

I will power on the system, it will run, the CPU, system fans will spin, the PSU fan will not. After this, it crashes fairly quickly. Anywhere from 1 min to an hour.

I've tried clearing the CMOS via hardware reset, but to no avail.

The system specs are as follows:
CPU: Core i5-6600
GPU: GTX 970 MSI Gaming 4G
RAM: 8gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance low profile
MoBo: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3
PSU: Corsair RM850 gold certified

I need some help figuring out what's happening. There's no error beeps from the board, or anything it seems, wrong with the software.

Solution
The power supply has both fault and thermal protection circuitry. That means the PSU will shut down if it detects an electrical fault or if the PSU gets too hot.

From your description the Power Supply is shutting down due to high PSU temperatures. This may be due to PSU clogged with dust or the fan is faulty. It can also happen if the cooling port on the PC case is obstructed. Placing the PC case with a bottom mounted PSU can cause this to happen.

I would suggest using a product like Dustoff to blow out any accumulated dust from the power supply.

I would check the operation of the fan. If the power supply has a quiet mode fan where the fan doesn't spin until a specified temperature is reached, it complicates things. Check the...
The power supply has both fault and thermal protection circuitry. That means the PSU will shut down if it detects an electrical fault or if the PSU gets too hot.

From your description the Power Supply is shutting down due to high PSU temperatures. This may be due to PSU clogged with dust or the fan is faulty. It can also happen if the cooling port on the PC case is obstructed. Placing the PC case with a bottom mounted PSU can cause this to happen.

I would suggest using a product like Dustoff to blow out any accumulated dust from the power supply.

I would check the operation of the fan. If the power supply has a quiet mode fan where the fan doesn't spin until a specified temperature is reached, it complicates things. Check the power supply fan operation after 30 minutes or so of use. If the fan isn't running, power down the PC and unplug the power supply for a minute or two, then take the side off and place your hand near or on the PSU. Under normal conditions the power supply should not be hot. You can do this same procedure after a system crash. If it is hot, then the power supply will need to be serviced or replaced.

I would suggest placing the PC on a hard surface and that the power supply cooling port is unobstructed.

Solution