Question System cooling fan not spinning ?

Oct 14, 2022
Acer Aspire M5700 Desktop PC
Motherboard G45T AM2 V:1.0

This fan is screwed onto the inside of the back wall of the metal case. It does not spin now. Do not know when it stopped spinning.

How to get it to spin, please?
Thank you.

Probably, you can't. If it stopped spinning then either the fan has died, and since you say you don't know when it died it's likely it died from a lack of maintenance. Dust and dirt, when ignored, tend to kill fans and motors. Or, given the age of the system, it could very well be that the fan controller on the motherboard has failed which wouldn't be surprising since that motherboard is about 14 years old. Either way, "getting it to turn back on" is almost certainly not going to happen. If it was working, it would be turning or at least trying to turn. Any fan that's been running for 14 years has certainly outlived it's expected lifespan and should be replaced. No question.

Most likely the rear fan is either an 80mm or 92mm but you will need to measure side to side from one edge to the other. Report back with that measurement and I will show you fans that you can use as replacement options but I need to know what country you are in or where you can order parts from. Or, if you have to buy from local shops I can tell you what you need to look for.

Oct 14, 2022
Probably, you can't. If it stopped spinning then either the fan has died, and since you say you don't know when it died it's likely it died from a lack of maintenance. Dust and dirt, when ignored, tend to kill fans and motors. Or, given the age of the system, it could very well be that the fan controller on the motherboard has failed which wouldn't be surprising since that motherboard is about 14 years old. Either way, "getting it to turn back on" is almost certainly not going to happen. If it was working, it would be turning or at least trying to turn. Any fan that's been running for 14 years has certainly outlived it's expected lifespan and should be replaced. No question.

Most likely the rear fan is either an 80mm or 92mm but you will need to measure side to side from one edge to the other. Report back with that measurement and I will show you fans that you can use as replacement options but I need to know what country you are in or where you can order parts from. Or, if you have to buy from local shops I can tell you what you need to look for.
Thank you.
" the fan controller on the motherboard has failed "
The fan turns if I blow air on it. Maybe the fan is not dead, but the issue is on the controller.
Is it necessary to have this fan if the PC is running with the case is open, removing the side wall or panel ?

All fans turn if you blow air on them. Even if they aren't plugged into power.

But, you can always try this as well if you are handy enough and feel confident to attempt it. It's possible that there is simply too much gunk built up inside the fan bearing and no lubrication left. I wouldn't count on it but if replacing it is for some reason (Fans like this can be bought for like 5-10 bucks, sometimes less) then it might be worth at least trying.

If the side panel is removed and the CPU cooler fan is still working, then you can probably get by without it. Seems like a lot of extra effort for a five dollar part though.

Oct 14, 2022
All fans turn if you blow air on them. Even if they aren't plugged into power.

But, you can always try this as well if you are handy enough and feel confident to attempt it. It's possible that there is simply too much gunk built up inside the fan bearing and no lubrication left. I wouldn't count on it but if replacing it is for some reason (Fans like this can be bought for like 5-10 bucks, sometimes less) then it might be worth at least trying.

If the side panel is removed and the CPU cooler fan is still working, then you can probably get by without it. Seems like a lot of extra effort for a five dollar part though.
Thanks.
The set up is not a complete PC, but some usable parts left over from three or four disused machines. I had them set up and run for a specific task.