[SOLVED] System crashing at regular, but getting faster intervals

Tom_83

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
Hi, a while ago my PC started BSODing every couple days or so, and has steadily been doing it more, and more often, it has gotten to the point now where it cant go for more than 10 minutes without crashing. Interestingly it used to BSOD and give me either a memory management error or a store exception error, but now it does not have enough time to give an error at all and just restarts immediately. Before it got too bad I used bluescreenview to see what caused the issue and it always pointed to ntoskrnl.exe. After some research I thought it was the ram however I've changed out the ram with sticks I know work perfectly and still, the same behavior happens. Currently, I'm thinking its the mobo that is failing but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very confused about what's causing this!

Cheers,
Tom

Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Drives: Make and models, capacity, how full?

Things you can do:

1) Run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt; sfc may find and fix something.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

2) Run the various Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may likewise find and fix something.

3) Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the BSOD times.

4) Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out all dust and debris. Inspect all components for signs of damage; discoloration, cable...

Ralston18

Titan

Things you can do:

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

2) Run the various Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may likewise find and fix something.

3) Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the BSOD times.

Clean out all dust and debris. Inspect all components for signs of damage; discoloration, cable kinks/pinches, bare conductor showing.

Reseat (by feel) all cards, cables, RAM and jumpers to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Close up and reboot.

Solution

Tom_83

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016

Things you can do:

Reference:

Clean out all dust and debris. Inspect all components for signs of damage; discoloration, cable kinks/pinches, bare conductor showing.

Reseat (by feel) all cards, cables, RAM and jumpers to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Close up and reboot.

System specs are as follows:

CPU: ryzen 7 2700 (not overclocked)
RAM: 16gb corsair ddr4 (not overclocked)
PSU: evga 500b 500w good condition however quite old
GPU: amd radeon rx580 8gb
Mobo: gigabyte b450m ds3h
Storage: 500gb nvme ssd mounted on the mobo, about half full

All the components apart from the psu are quite new and all are in good condition,

I have run the sfc /scannow command a couple of times, I've run the various troubleshooters, and also tested the memory with memtest86 and no errors have been found.

The error codes in the reliability history have not been helpful and as mentioned in the original post I can't get any error codes now as it restarts too quickly.

I have reseated the components and dusted out the entire pc already and it has no effect.

Hope this helps!

System specs are as follows:

CPU: ryzen 7 2700 (not overclocked)
RAM: 16gb corsair ddr4 (not overclocked)
PSU: evga 500b 500w good condition however quite old
GPU: amd radeon rx580 8gb
Mobo: gigabyte b450m ds3h
Storage: 500gb nvme ssd mounted on the mobo, about half full

All the components apart from the psu are quite new and all are in good condition,

I have run the sfc /scannow command a couple of times, I've run the various troubleshooters, and also tested the memory with memtest86 and no errors have been found.

The error codes in the reliability history have not been helpful and as mentioned in the original post I can't get any error codes now as it restarts too quickly.

I have reseated the components and dusted out the entire pc already and it has no effect.

Hope this helps!
The usual suspect in these uncommanded reboots is the PSU. Do you have another one to test ?

Last edited:

Tom_83

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
The usual suspect in these uncommanded reboots is the PSU. Do you have another one to test ?

I don't have another one unfortunately. I don't think it's the PSU as it doesn't power off immediately, it kind of slows right down then shows an unpopulated BSOD for a couple of seconds then restarts. Or perhaps it's possible that the PSU is shutting down only partially causing the system to become unstable?

Tom_83

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not an ideal test as the PSU is not under load.

However, if one or more voltages are out of spec then the PSU is likely failing.

I do yeah, I've just measured it now and the voltages are only a maximum of 0.1 volts off of their targets, and the voltage stays exactly the same as well.

Earlier today I took out and reseated all of the components again and it seems it might have done the trick, I've been testing it with some games for a while and have not had a crash yet. Fingers crossed that was the issue!