[SOLVED] System does not see NVME on boot

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Hi, yesterday I installed a Samsung 980 pro Nvme to the m.2 port of my mother board as os drive.

Things were going dandy, but this morning when I turned on the pc boot sequence failed as it did not “see” the new drive. I turned the system off and back on and it worked.

I then had to turn it off to attend other errands, and again when I came back startup would not work. And again turning the system off and on did the trick

My mother board is an Asus prime z390 a

Solution
Since it does same trick in 2 different PC, I would return it and get one that doesn't fall asleep like that.

Pretty good chance its the Nvme at this point.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you got this on? if so, turn off as not going to make windows any faster than an nvme
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
it might help. (if you have win 11, the steps to find it have changed. need to search for control panel and use the power menu on here to get to same menus)
if it helps, problem is a driver. Possibly Intel Management Engine Interface

Do you have newest BIOS on motherboard?

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
It's the same pc, I just cloned the old OS onto the new memory.

Fun is, it works perfectly once it starts. It just randomly stops detecting the Nvme, and in that case, I just have to turn it off and on to make it work

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
have you got this on? if so, turn off as not going to make windows any faster than an nvme
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
it might help. (if you have win 11, the steps to find it have changed. need to search for control panel and use the power menu on here to get to same menus)
if it helps, problem is a driver. Possibly Intel Management Engine Interface

Do you have newest BIOS on motherboard?
Yeah, bios up to date. I turned off fast boot from bios, is that enough?

Colif

Win 11 Master
fast boot in bios just makes bios run all its checks at once
Fast startup in Windows changes how windows shuts down. With it on, PC is in a hybred hibernate state, whereas with fast startup off, its actually off. You don't need it on an nvme. Can mess up drivers not written for it.

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Fast startup in Windows changes how windows shuts down. With it on, PC is in a hybred hibernate state, whereas with fast startup off, its actually off. You don't need it on an nvme. Can mess up drivers not written for it.

Ok, disabled it, let's see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions anyway

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Ok, the issue happened again.
Curiously, I noticed it only happens if I shut down the PC and leave it off for three-four hours.

And it sees the other drives ok, it's just the NVME.

Also, I noticed secure boot is disabled? I didn't know you could do that with windows 11.

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 11 doesn't care about secure boot, I haven't had it on for over a year now.

Perhaps its the nvme itself. drives disappearing and showing up on restart, i seen that happen. it might be a physical defect,

try running Magician and run diagnostics. Alas it can't see physical problems. https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

shame mb only has 1 m.2 slot, can't test it in another slot.

You might need to contact Samsung and see about a RMA.

Reactions: savastanosacha

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
win 11 doesn't care about secure boot, I haven't had it on for over a year now.

Perhaps its the nvme itself. drives disappearing and showing up on restart, i seen that happen. it might be a physical defect,

try running Magician and run diagnostics. Alas it can't see physical problems. https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

shame mb only has 1 m.2 slot, can't test it in another slot.

You might need to contact Samsung and see about a RMA.
Mobo has 2 m2 slots, fact is that the other one, which should read only PCie, refuses to detect the unit altogether. I ran diagnostics and nothing seems wrong with the Nvme itself.
it could be the mobo but it’s so weird the issue is triggered (and resolved) so specifically.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not a driver problem if its hardware

Curiously, I noticed it only happens if I shut down the PC and leave it off for three-four hours.
what are full specs of the PC?

one thought is to reset the CMOS as it might fix the disappearing nvme problem

Reactions: savastanosacha

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
its not a driver problem if its hardware

what are full specs of the PC?

one thought is to reset the CMOS as it might fix the disappearing nvme problem
https://freeimage.host/i/Ntdh6F
Obviously now there is a 980 instead of the 870.

I thought reinstalling bios meant resetting cmos too?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think its the nvme still. Something amiss with its power management. or the pc's
BIOS should see the drive at start. If its not showing, why? (yes, I know that is main question).

I don't know what would make it lose charge/disappear in the 3 to 4 hours but it seems its is mostly not showing up at all if there isn't constant power. the standby charge may not be enough to keep it in the right power state. It should be though.
Probably same reason why its not there on boot. The restart might be enough to charge it and make it wake up.

But start-up should wake it?

PCIe NVMe can turn themselves off when not being used. Even when PC is on & its the boot drive. My HDD is same age as my NVME and yet it shows as being on 423 days and nvme only shows 297days.

I missed this:

It just randomly stops detecting the Nvme, and in that case, I just have to turn it off and on to make it work

Do you mean while PC is running or is this just in relation to Startups? If nvme just disappears while PC is on, its probably the nvme.

What PSU do you have? Speccy doesn't know.

savastanosacha

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I think its the nvme still. Something amiss with its power management. or the pc's
BIOS should see the drive at start. If its not showing, why? (yes, I know that is main question).

I don't know what would make it lose charge/disappear in the 3 to 4 hours but it seems its is mostly not showing up at all if there isn't constant power. the standby charge may not be enough to keep it in the right power state. It should be though.
Probably same reason why its not there on boot. The restart might be enough to charge it and make it wake up.

But start-up should wake it?

PCIe NVMe can turn themselves off when not being used. Even when PC is on & its the boot drive. My HDD is same age as my NVME and yet it shows as being on 423 days and nvme only shows 297days.

I missed this:

Do you mean while PC is running or is this just in relation to Startups? If nvme just disappears while PC is on, its probably the nvme.

What PSU do you have? Speccy doesn't know.
Nono, it never disappears while running. Only when I leave it off two hours or more. Except this one time when I replaced the CMOS battery, the system DID see the Nvme even with new battery hard resetted bios and no date/time, however when I unplugged it from the power line it immediately disappeared, even if only a few seconds had passed after shutdown

as for my psu, I have a Corsair CX750M