Question System doesn't properly boot or POST ?

Herazim

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Hello, my specs:

Windows 10 Home Edition

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 EAGLE OC LHR 8GB GDDR6 256-bit

Kingston FURY Beast 16GB DDR5 6000MHz CL40 Dual Channel Kit

SSD Kingston NV2 1TB PCI Express 4.0 x4 M.2 2280

SSD Kingston NV2 500GB PCI Express 4.0 x4 M.2 2280

Corsair RM750e, 80+ Gold, 750W Power Supply

Processor Intel Raptor Lake, Core i5 13500 2.5GHz box

MOBO GIGABYTE B760 AORUS ELITE AX

Yesterday I tried adding more RAM, that's when the issue started. PC would power on but it would not Post, I removed the new RAM and it worked with the old ones. Then I tried again with the new ones and same issue.

The issue is that since then even if I only put the old RAM, it still doesn't work. It either doesn't post or it tries to boot and freezes when reaching the MOBO logo or it reaches desktop but freezes, MnK or power button do not work.

There doesn't seem to be any hardware issues, at least the panel LEDs don't indicate it, only during Post it cycles through them but when it does boot no lights are on the LEDs.

I tried taking out the CMOS battery and leaving it for 5 minutes, during that time I also pressed the power button for a minute, I tried clearing the CMOS, unplugged and plugged in the cables on the Mobo, nothing seems to help. Also tried with only 1 stick of RAM.

There's also an issue which I have no idea if it's actually an issue, given that the PC freezes and I can't power it off via power button to keep troubleshooting, I have to unplug the power cable, this causes the PC to not turn on for about 30 minutes. I'm assuming it's a safety PSU feature, haven't done that up until yesterday on this PC.

Anything else I could be doing or in a different sequence before I start taking it apart and looking at everything one by one ? I don't know how relevant this is but the PC is new, 4 months old and had no issues up until now with it. Thanks !

Lutfij

Titan
Yesterday I tried adding more RAM, that's when the issue started
Can you elaborate on this point? What ram did you have and what ram did you add later on? Link sot the kits will help. You might want to also check and see if the PCB's on the rams are different revisions if they are the same make and model as your older ram kit.

Can you recall the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Herazim

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Yesterday I tried adding more RAM, that's when the issue started
Can you elaborate on this point? What ram did you have and what ram did you add later on? Link sot the kits will help. You might want to also check and see if the PCB's on the rams are different revisions if they are the same make and model as your older ram kit.

Can you recall the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
Hey, luckily the problem solved itself.

Left the PC to fully discharge with the old RAM and it works.

I'd still like to make the upgrade with the RAM if possible so these are the sticks I have:

6000 MT/s
16 GB
Dual Channel kit of 2

And I bought the exact same pair to add to the other 2 slots. I know the question may be, why not buy the 4 kit or a dual channel kit of 32GB from the get go. That was a lack of funds at the time, I said that I will upgrade later on.

From what I found and looked into it I should be able to run two dual channel kits that are exactly the same.

PCB seems to be the same, I'm not good with it though, I'll post a picture, each stick is from a different kit.

n5fUigw.jpeg

TRENDING THREADS