[SOLVED] System Fan speed keeps at 100%

Nov 25, 2021
Hi, I need your help for my system fan speed.

Basically, I just purchased new case "Montech Air X white" with ARGB fans/controller. So I moved parts from old pc (Zalman Z9 case) to the new one.

Now I got some weird issue on system fans connected to built-in fan controller.(ARGB + 4-pin FAN) I believe that I connected everything right. Then I noticed the fan noise is quite loud so I lowered it in BIOS(PWM %) and it seemed to work in BIOS(no noise). However, after booting my PC, the fan speed changes to 100% (by its noise) while I set the speed in BIOS to 10~20%.
Bios shows system temp between 40~45C while I was setting fan speed, and I set 10% speed until 80C. I do not believe my system temp goes up to 80C right after booting.

Any idea about this issue? Fan speed can be set in BIOS and works in BIOS, but changes to 100% after booting.

System info

Windows 10
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 (this one does not have ARGB header, so I left ARGB connectors unconnected)
Case : Montech Air X white
Fan connection:
3x fans w/ ARGB to built-in controller hub (pre-installed)
4-pin connector from built-in hub to SYS_FAN 3 on mobo (4-pin header)
SATA power to PSU (Seasonic 750W Gold 80+)
Fan settings in BIOS
Temp sensor: System 1 (Just temp. sensor, not fan #)
Fan #: System 3 (edited)
Mode: PWM mode
10% until 80C / 30% at 85C / 100% at 100C

---- Add ----

I just noticed that when I completed turn off my pc and start it, those system fans run at bios settings. However, if I restart my pc (either at windows or bios), fan speed changes to 100% with loud noise.

Last edited:
Solution
@Paperdoc

Ok so I finished test, and kinda solved the issue.

Unfortunately, your suggestion does not work. I changed to 70%, 60%, 50%, 40% and 30% until 80C in BIOS settings, but the fans stay at 100% after a simple restart(no shut down) while it works at specified speed after a complete restart(with shut down). Also, I tested with Gigabyte SIV app which allows to change fan speed in windows. After a complete restart, I can change fan speed by the app, but it does not work after a simple restart(simply same symptom as BIOS fan speed settings)

Well, then I just swapped the connector (from the hub) to another SYS_FAN header (SYS_FAN2)...and it fixed the issue. Now the fans spin at specified speed even after a simple restart...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Here's a MAYBE thought to try. On fans and their lights via the included Hub there are instructions for how to turn over control of the LIGHTS to the mobo by pressing the case's control button for 3 sec. You have not told us exactly which mobo you have, but you say it has NO ARGB header so you have not tried to connect to the Hub for this. That is the correct way. So you have had NO reason to try doing that 3-second push.

The instructions say nothing about fan MOTOR speed control. The Hub appears to have one port - the middle one on one end - with a cable that goes to a mobo header. I presume this is supposed to go to a SYS_FAN header for fan control signals. You have talked about setting PWM values on this header. Check one more thing further. Ensure that that SYS_FAN header is configured for PWM Mode, and NOT Voltage or DC or Auto. The Hub MUST receive a PWM signal from that header to exercise control.

Now, with that verified, consider this. For LIGHTS the Hub defaults to controlling lights itself, so a complete shut-down and re-start will return to that default setting, although a simpler Reboot may NOT because it does not remove all power to the Hub. Maybe the same thing occurs for fan MOTOR speed. That is, with a complete shut-down and re-start, the Hub defaults to starting up the fan at full speed, then turns over control to the PWM signal from the SYS_FAN header. (That signal itself normally will START at full speed, then slow down to specified reduced speed after a few seconds.) BUT with a simple Reboot without any removal of power, the Hub may not recognize the reduced-speed signal from the mobo and may stay in start-up default mode. So TRY this: set your SYS_FAN header to a higher minimum speed like 35%, and see if that makes the speed change on reboot. IF it does, try lower min speeds that still work.

Reactions: JasonGaming
Nov 25, 2021
Here's a MAYBE thought to try. On fans and their lights via the included Hub there are instructions for how to turn over control of the LIGHTS to the mobo by pressing the case's control button for 3 sec. You have not told us exactly which mobo you have, but you say it has NO ARGB header so you have not tried to connect to the Hub for this. That is the correct way. So you have had NO reason to try doing that 3-second push.

The instructions say nothing about fan MOTOR speed control. The Hub appears to have one port - the middle one on one end - with a cable that goes to a mobo header. I presume this is supposed to go to a SYS_FAN header for fan control signals. You have talked about setting PWM values on this header. Check one more thing further. Ensure that that SYS_FAN header is configured for PWM Mode, and NOT Voltage or DC or Auto. The Hub MUST receive a PWM signal from that header to exercise control.

Now, with that verified, consider this. For LIGHTS the Hub defaults to controlling lights itself, so a complete shut-down and re-start will return to that default setting, although a simpler Reboot may NOT because it does not remove all power to the Hub. Maybe the same thing occurs for fan MOTOR speed. That is, with a complete shut-down and re-start, the Hub defaults to starting up the fan at full speed, then turns over control to the PWM signal from the SYS_FAN header. (That signal itself normally will START at full speed, then slow down to specified reduced speed after a few seconds.) BUT with a simple Reboot without any removal of power, the Hub may not recognize the reduced-speed signal from the mobo and may stay in start-up default mode. So TRY this: set your SYS_FAN header to a higher minimum speed like 35%, and see if that makes the speed change on reboot. IF it does, try lower min speeds that still work.
Thanks for your thought. I am currently not at home, but I will try your suggestions later tonight and will leave comment here.

To clarify your questions;

1) My mobo is "Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel LGA 1151 Rev 1.0". And yes, I left ARGB connectors unconnected and the lights can only be controlled by case's control button.

2) Yes, that is SYS_FAN header and I plugged it into SYS_FAN3 on mobo. And it is set to PWM mode in BIOS, not auto/Voltage mode. Well, the fan speed cannot be controlled even in BIOS if I change it to auto or voltage tho.

3) This is very reasonable thought and I will try this later tonight. Yes, as usual, system fans run at full speed at the beginning of boot sequence and slowed down to set speed after a few seconds. I will also keep my ears on speed change of system fans during booting sequence to identify when it slows down with complete reboot and when it starts staying at full speed with simple reboot.

Thanks again, and I wish your suggestion will work xD

Nov 25, 2021
@Paperdoc

Ok so I finished test, and kinda solved the issue.

Unfortunately, your suggestion does not work. I changed to 70%, 60%, 50%, 40% and 30% until 80C in BIOS settings, but the fans stay at 100% after a simple restart(no shut down) while it works at specified speed after a complete restart(with shut down). Also, I tested with Gigabyte SIV app which allows to change fan speed in windows. After a complete restart, I can change fan speed by the app, but it does not work after a simple restart(simply same symptom as BIOS fan speed settings)

Well, then I just swapped the connector (from the hub) to another SYS_FAN header (SYS_FAN2)...and it fixed the issue. Now the fans spin at specified speed even after a simple restart. Just to make sure, the speed stays at 100% during booting sequence for a few seceonds(when it shows blue windows icon), and starts reducing the speed as soon as the pc shows welcome screen.

So it seems like SYS_FAN3 header on my mobo is partially broken. I will need to test the header #3 with a single 4-pin system fan in order to confirm whether it is really broken or does not work with a fan hub.

Thanks for your help again.

Solution