Question system freezes up very often

Austen Robinson

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
This started when an update to windows 10 gave some error alerts due to missing updates. Basically my trackpad stopped working. I could put my pointer all over the screen and I could not click on anything (desktop or task bar). So I found a wireless mouse lying around and it didnt seem to do anything. I then figured that I might as well update to win 11. That seemed to at least let me use the wireless mouse but it still freezes quite often so I have to power on and off a lot. That seems to at least allow the wireless mouse to function again for a while but it then locks up and another power off and on.

This is a very lightly used HP -dw2. I am hoping that its just a bad driver or something and i dont have to replace the trackpad. Im not sure why it locks up using the wireless mouse. Any hints or thoughts appreciated.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Try opening the command prompt in administrator mode, then typing "sfc /scannow" without quotes and press enter.
This will scan and repair any corrupt files, which may help. I would also make sure everything is up to date, and perform full system scan for viruses with a program like Avast free antivirus or Malwarebytes, if the issue persists.