Question System has RGB but will not boot.

Sep 10, 2024
The problem is not that the system won't boot or post, the power button just does nothing. I tried shorting the pins, that didn't work. Paperclip test worked on the PSU, and mobo was just sent in for warranty for not turning on, it worked for about a month after that but when i came back from vacation it didnt work. System has more than enough wattage, that shouldn't be a problem. I have tried breadboarding the parts, and assembling it without all unnecessary parts. I assume that this means there is a problem with the PSU or mobo, but I don't know.

Specs:
i3-12100f
Rx 580 2048 SP
it's a SATA SSD I got from taking apart an old optiplex
b660m pro RS
Assassin x 120 R SE
16 GB of Corsair vengeance LPX 3200 MHz ddr4
Corsair CX650M, about half a year old
Thermaltake MATX case, couldn't find the exact model.
Windows 11
Dell monitor that works fine with every other device in my house

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
System has more than enough wattage, that shouldn't be a problem.
While PSU does have enough wattage capacity, but the PSU doesn't have enough build quality.

CXm is mediocre build quality PSU. It would be fine for office build, without dedicated GPU, but for any PC with dedicated GPU, better quality PSU is better suited.

That being said;
Good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium.
In 650W range.

(My 3x PCs are also powered by Seasonic. I have 2x PRIME TX-650 units and one Focus PX-550 unit. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

So, do replace the PSU with better quality unit and look if it makes a diff. If it does, issue was with PSU.

Paperclip test worked on the PSU
Using the paperclip test is pointless since it only turns on the PSU, but it doesn't put any load on the PSU.

It's like you turning on the car engine and when engine starts, you instantly assume that the car drives just fine, without ever doing the test drive.
So, no. Just turning on the PSU, without putting any load to it, doesn't mean PSU works fine.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The problem is not that the system won't boot or post, the power button just does nothing. I tried shorting the pins, that didn't work. Paperclip test worked on the PSU, and mobo was just sent in for warranty for not turning on, it worked for about a month after that but when i came back from vacation it didnt work. System has more than enough wattage, that shouldn't be a problem. I have tried breadboarding the parts, and assembling it without all unnecessary parts. I assume that this means there is a problem with the PSU or mobo, but I don't know.

Specs:
i3-12100f
Rx 580 2048 SP
it's a SATA SSD I got from taking apart an old optiplex
b660m pro RS
Assassin x 120 R SE
16 GB of Corsair vengeance LPX 3200 MHz ddr4
Corsair CX650M, about half a year old
Thermaltake MATX case, couldn't find the exact model.
Windows 11
Dell monitor that works fine with every other device in my house
You already sent the board in for repairs for the same reason it probably failed again.
Not a high quality power supply but should be fine for your build!

Sep 10, 2024
While PSU does have enough wattage capacity, but the PSU doesn't have enough build quality.

CXm is mediocre build quality PSU. It would be fine for office build, without dedicated GPU, but for any PC with dedicated GPU, better quality PSU is better suited.

That being said;
Good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium.
In 650W range.

(My 3x PCs are also powered by Seasonic. I have 2x PRIME TX-650 units and one Focus PX-550 unit. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

So, do replace the PSU with better quality unit and look if it makes a diff. If it does, issue was with PSU.

Using the paperclip test is pointless since it only turns on the PSU, but it doesn't put any load on the PSU.

It's like you turning on the car engine and when engine starts, you instantly assume that the car drives just fine, without ever doing the test drive.
So, no. Just turning on the PSU, without putting any load to it, doesn't mean PSU works fine.
If I have to I will, but I'm on a very tight budget and don't want to buy a new part unless I'm sure it's the issue.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
unless I'm sure it's the issue.
When PC doesn't power on, issue is either with: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU, PSU or all of them.

Since the lowest quality component within these 5 is PSU + PSU is the most important component inside the PC because it powers everything, most likely culprit would be PSU.

And with hardware, only way to find out which doesn't work, is either replacing the component with 2nd, known to work component (e.g new PSU), or testing said component in another, compatible PC (e.g testing your GPU or CPU in 2nd PC to see if the component works there as well or not). E.g like you've tested your Dell monitor with other hardware, to see, if it could be the culprit or not.
Other than these two, there are no other options when it comes to hardware troubleshoot when PC doesn't turn on.